i can't believe you

three months later

"i'll see you tonight, taehyung-ah. have a good day."

"bye, hyung! love you." i opened the door, waving through the window as he drove off. unlocking the door, this had become my new normal. going to work for five hours, coming back home, eating dinner and going to bed, repeat.

the only time it was different was on the weekends. sometimes it's fun, sometimes it's not.

once i had set out colouring books, crayons and markers over the four tables, there was a knock on the door.

"come in!" i shouted, placing the trains mat on the floor.

"be a good boy, okay?" a man said.

"yes." i recognised the voice.

"oh! hi, jay!"

"taetae!" he screamed, excitedly.

"yes, yes. say goodbye to..." i looked the man up and down, "your father, put your things on the hooks and sit at one of the tables."

"bye!"

"goodbye! i'll pick you up at the usual time."

"goodbye, sir!"

jay's father mouthed a 'thank you' before dropping a piece of paper onto the floor and leaving.

i was beyond confused.

"good boy, jay." walking towards the paper, i picked it up and read what he had written.

call me, i have to tell you something about jay. it's rather important.
***** *** ***

umm... okay? i took out my phone and sat on one of the tiny chairs, stamping the digits into the keypad to place the phone by my ear.

"hello?" i asked.

"hi! is this jay's teacher?"

"it sure is. i was just wondering why you wanted me to call you, sir."
"well... it's... a long story."

"go ahead, sir. i have plenty of time."

"thank you." he started explaining, explaining how jaehyun's parents died in a car crash and he was an orphan. the man that dropped him here was his foster parent. he was in foster care...

"i-i'm so sorry to hear that, sir. is there anything i can do to help?"

"not really, kid."

"i really am sorry... i'll ensure he has a nice day."

"alright. thank you so much. i'll see you this afternoon." he hung up as i looked over towards jaehyun.

his english had improved significantly in these few months.

"jay, what do you have for lunch?"

"i don't know, taetae. what do you have?"

i laughed, "i don't know either!"