Chapter 1

Yasmine Wood~

"Get up. I don't want a call from the attendance office," Kaylley shook me awake. I was so used to being shook awake that I only stretched a little and robotically made my way over to my dresser and put together an outfit.

Hey shorty, I'm Yasmine Wood. I'm 15, 5'3, a stem, and I loathe my parents.

Kaylley is my mother...or the person who keeps a roof over my head, throws my allowance on my bed when I'm not home, and who occasionally puts money on my school lunch card. Kaylley left my room in her soft green robe and slammed the door. The picture of my family and I shook, but decided with a last rattle that it wasn't going to fall down this time. I tucked my tears away and decided today I was going to shoot for simple. I didn't want to put too much notice on myself. See, today I have to return my stay at the district's DAEP school. A combination of Lilack Spring Senior High School students and Lilackview High School students.

Last year I had gotten into hella fights and trouble but since my mom pulled me out of school to take me on a vacation with DeShonn (my father), I didn't get to do my time there. So instead of doing the initial week I was supposed to have last year, I now also have to do an extra week for missing it. I find it annoying because I wasn't even in this district last year, but the school told me they wanted to make sure I behaved at their school. I'm sure I won't have a seat in any of my classes nor any friends and plenty of awkwardness once I actually go to my school.

I'm new to this district, and from what I see around my neighborhood, these kids are far from friendly. But what teenagers are?

I grabbed my clothes and made my way to the bathroom only to hear my mother cutting on the shower. Since I didn't have any siblings, I guess my mother gets to take that role too. I leaned against the doorway to my bathroom waiting for her to finish, knowing only cold water awaited me in my own personal bathroom. My phone buzzed with my useless alarm on the nightstand and I sighed my way over to it. I turned it off and went back to my stance at the doorway. By the time she got out it would be time to go. And she would find some way to take me out the shower if I made her late to her eight o'clock pm job at six o'clock am..somehow.

"Breakfast is ready. Eat it while it's hot or take it while it's cold, Yasmine!" DeShonn shouted from the kitchen. Suddenly our spacious apartment felt too tiny and all I wanted was to be at school. I decided I was going to skip my shower and grabbed a face towel and did a quick wipe off of myself. After I was sure I smelled good enough, I brushed my teeth, washed my face, and pulled on my simple outfit: Dark blue sweatpants and a dark purple shirt. I took a random jacket with me in case it was cold inside and slipped on my black Nike slides. In no way was I matching, and it irritated me, but I was too tired and honestly sad to do anything better today.

I'm sure nobody would be dressed up fancy for their first time going to DAEP nor their first day of school there. I already knew they didn't require a uniform, so I was grateful for that because my mom would have taken away my allowance probably for forever.

I headed to the kitchen and found a frozen half eaten biscuit. I wondered if it was mine again or if this was DeShonn's. Seeing my look of shy confusion, DeShonn came from Kaylley and his room and scowled at me. "That's yours, kid. You know the drill." I picked up the biscuit and took one bite out of it on the side that wasn't bitten to satisfy him. So he could say "Don't say I never fed you".  I balled it up in a napkin and placed it into my pocket in case there wasn't any money on my lunch card this year.