Chapter 13

Yasmine Wood~

Class was boring. Who cares what Ms. McDouble thinks about this year's chemistry class. At least I didn't have to introduce myself like Niora though.

"I'll assign you partners for today's lab. Yasmine, come talk with me," the teacher said. I went around the black table to Ms. Bubble's desk, which was made out of steel and wood. She had fake apples on her desk and random kid's notebooks. The projector flickered nearby and the smart board (which was obviously broken) hummed.

"Okay, so I see you got your lab contract signed, but not this," she pointed at a paper.

"Sorry, my mom wasn't home last night," I said, "and you sent it last night."

"Well..." the teacher looked at the paper. "I'll let you do the lab today. But do you have any allergies? Medical conditions? Anything of that nature?"

"Not really," I said then laughed, realizing I had zoned out. "No, I don't have any."

"Alright," the teacher said slowly in an unsure tone.

"We have assigned partners for each semester. I have to check out the paper to see who yours is. Just put on an apron and your goggles. Grab some gloves too," she advised me. I found my way over to the things and suited myself up.

I heard the door open, but I didn't look up as I struggled to tie my apron in the back.

"Chastine, thank you for making it to class finally," McDouble said sarcastically.

I looked up at this.

The girl looked young and she was about 5'5 or 5'6. Light skin and she looked like she was very goofy or either very serious. "I had to tie my shoes," the girl said with a grin. "Mhm," the teacher rolled her eyes, "Get an apron, goggles, and gloves. Then find your lab partner."

"I don't have one remember. You said she wasn't here yet," Chastine said.

She came over by me and grabbed her things and set down her backpack to put on her apron. I looked away and still tried to tie my apron. "Has she shipped in yet? Does she come with extra parts?" Chastine smirked. Her eyes randomly wondering the class and landing on me. "Oh, you must be her. I'm Chastine."

"Oh, well then yes...y'all are partners," the teacher said, reading her paper just as Chastine found me.

"I'm Yasmine," I nodded at her, still struggling to put on my apron. "Lemme help you," Chastine rushed behind me and started tying it. "Make sure I can get out of this by the end of class, please," I chuckled. Then added, "But thank you."

"Yasmine, come here please," the teacher called me over to her desk again.

Chastine easily put on her apron and started putting on her goggles. I left by her and joined McDouble. She leaned in towards me.

"I trust that you aren't gonna get Miss McKnight into any trouble, correct? She's younger than all of you, and I don't want her going crazy. She has real potential and she's smart. I've seen your grades too, you got brains. I don't wanna see you two slackin off at anything, ok?"

"Yes ma'am," I answered robotically.

As I walked away I wondered if maybe I could be a good role model to Chastine.

In my own way.

My phone buzzed, and I whipped it out to see Niora had text me. I didn't even press the Messages app. I took a deep breath and ignored her. Once you ignore somebody once it's easier to do it again. I put my phone back into my pocket and willed any feelings for her away.