Chapter 23

Yasmine Wood~

I hadn't heard from Niora in forever it felt like. Chastine had stopped talking to me, probably figuring that I'd get her into another situation like with Ashelynne and her huge house.

I slumped around school, barely doing my work, and contemplating skipping classes. I knew if I kept this up it'd be a matter of time before I ended up where I started in this district. So much for a new beginning. I always saw the beginning of the school year that way: New me, new habits. The truth is, I've been me all along, I just needa take away some parts of me and replace them with better things.

I avoided eye contact with Chastine in Chemistry. I knew that eventually we would have to partner up again, but for now, this distance would do. She's probably told all of her ninth grader friends about all the shit that went down at Ashelynne's house anyways.

This school is too quiet and too confusing. Not the work, but the school's students. In Orange Burrows there were fights everyday, even the teachers knew the tea, and even though danger lurked around every corner we were all some disgruntled family and school felt lively. Here, I felt like a stereotypical teen at a stereotypical high school. This school oozed depression. Maybe I should stop coming at all.

The class bell rung and see I don't even remember what the teacher said. Maybe school feels like this because I know that Niora blocked me. We weren't even in a relationship for crying out loud, but I felt like I cheated on her and I know she felt the same.

"Yasmine."

I looked up, Chastine was calling me from a water fountain. "What?" I asked.

"You okay?"

"Yeah...I'm fine," I murmured.

My class wasn't even in this direction but I walked away from Chastine. I wish I could move back to Orange Burrows and take back my ex. I wish I hadn't complained when life at home and at school was just a little below decent. Even my mom was home more often and just counting her cash and staying to herself. Even my dad came home and played sports with me in the background.

It's not like Niora leaving to Arizona had made things better though.

Things will only be better if she is here.

"Watch out, hoe," somebody said.

They pushed me to the ground and I caught my breath, looking up. It was Ashelynne. Her gaze caught my eyes and she smirked. Her presence radiated wrongness and I scrambled to pick my things up and hopefully run away. She grabbed my forearm and lifted me up, despite me trying to pull away.

"Why are you here? I thought you went to Niora's school," I said to her in an accusing way.

"I decided a nice little transfer was in my favor," she said quietly. She flashed me another smile. "Mind if I help you to class? I'd hate for you to be late."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vote❤️
Comment🥰