Chapter 16

Niora Johnson~

I came home already with my decision in mind (my dad at work), but for once, I tried to listen to an adult and think this through. This woman had never made any effort to contact me before, according to my father. And honestly he was chill and honest with me and had no reason to lie. Then I have a whole half brother and my dad doesn't remember how old he is, just that he's really young.

This is a lot to take in after a day like I've had.

I stripped off my sweaty clothes and stepped my sticky body into a warm shower, getting my liquid soap and spreading it over my body with my hands, shaving, and then standing under the warm water. I closed my eyes and let the warmth seep into my soul, trying to find the right answer within me.

Then I heard my phone ring and knew it was Yasmine. I unsafely hopped out the shower and cut it off, quickly drying off and putting on my clothes and grabbing my phone. That only took me about six minutes.

"Hey Yasmine," I said.

"Yo, what happened today?" she asked.

I tried to excuse her attitude, I did sort of leave her to walk home, and for Stevy to catch an Uber. And she doesn't even know why I left school earlier yet. I sat on my bed, leaving my bathroom door open so some of the steam could let out. "I'm sorry for leaving you and Stevy like that. My dad came and picked me up early and took me to Chili's and guess what?"

"What?" she asked in a tired tone. She honestly sounded sad. I'd ask her what's up after I told her my somewhat thrilling news. "My dad told me my mom wants to see me. And I have a half br-

"Mom's aren't anything special. You're honestly setting your emotions up getting excited over this, Niora," Yasmine said dully. "Trust me, I have one."

All my happiness evaporated.

"Oh," I only said. I fell into myself and sadness cloaked me. My voice grew quiet and I felt both small internally and externally. My presence seemed to dim. "Well, what's up with you?"

"I had to walk home today," but I could tell she was lying. There was something else. Almost two months and I could tell when Yassy was lying. But she was obviously not in the mood to discuss why. "Well, get a good night of sleep. I guess I'll tell you the rest of the news....some other time," I said and hung up. I put my phone on silent and muted all her messages. I put my phone on the charger and stuck it under my bedside stool.

I started crying quietly and covered my head with my pillow. One good thing could happen and my whole world would fall apart.

I guess I had decided that going to Arizona was a good thing after all. Yasmine seems to be cheating anyways. I burned the image of what I had seen after I left Chili's from my head and fell into a troubled sleep.

No more pretending.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vote❤️
Comment🥰
Hey ghost readers💀