Chapter 4

Niora Johnson~

That girl was definitely a sight. I think if bum bitch had a look she had it. Obviously from what I could hear with my ear pressed against the door, shorty wasn't gettin much love from her mother and she acted out because of that.

Couldn't be me.

I made my way back to my seat in time as Mrs. L came in. The girl was gone and I heard her being walked away with her mother by the officer. He gave me fatherly vibes. I fucked with people who were truly trying to make a difference. I just hope everyone could see me as a human being. When he looked at me, it seemed like he did. If only I saw that in everyone else's eyes too.

Mrs. L closed the door behind herself and sat down in her chair. "I'm just going to take you to your next class alright? I didn't want you walking into a class with so much chaos going on," she chuckled. I was slightly disgusted. A woman had just gotten her ass beat. I hardly find that funny.

"Well..while we're in here I guess we should talk, huh?" she laughed again.

Maybe she laughed a lot when she was nervous. Couldn't be me, or I'd be laughing quite a bit. "I read your files," she said, pausing to look up at me from her computer. I couldn't tell if the logo was tryna say HIP or HP, or if I was just reading into it too hard.

"Look, I'm not the monster people try to make me out to be," I started.

She smiled at me kindly. "I didn't think so. I think that something bad just happened to you. We all make mistakes," she said softly. I leaned back in my chair, hands in my jean pockets. "How was jail? Were they rough with you?" she asked even more softly. "It was...a lot like here, just a little more stricter and I had to always be cautious. Otherwise, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be."

Obviously this wasn't what she expected to hear.

"I don't wanna go back though. Ever," I added with an exaggerated shudder. I don't think I had her quite convinced by the squint of her eyes, but I truly did not want to go back there. I like my freedom and I like tasting it. She checked her watch, "You ever need to talk, I'm here. And we have counselors on hand. The bell rings in two minutes, let's go ahead and start heading to your class."

I let her walk in front of me and we began our way down the hall. "I hope you read the handbook for here. Although, I see you've been here several times before." She keeps looking over at me as if she expects me to confirm these statements. Shoot, if they in the system it must have some truth in it. If I was here wrongly, trust me...they would know.

"Yes ma'am," I said in my most respectful tone.

"I like you, you're respectful. Maybe you can teach some of these other kids that," she commented with a happy smile on her face as we made our way down another hallway. "Is that other girl gonna go to jail?" I asked curiously. "It isn't my place to say, honey," she stated. "Why?" she asked me. "I was just curious, sounds like that teacher isn't gonna be back this semester."

"Who knows," Mrs. L commented nonchalantly.

"Do you think y'all could let her off," I said tentatively. Mrs. L stopped in front of a door down a hall with a big window. It showed traffic going by casually and LSSHS a few blocks away. This was the only class down this hall.

"You know her, huh?" she said in an almost accusing tone. "No," I said sort of too quickly, "but..see I'm good at reading people and, I can tell whatever she did or whatever reason she fought that teacher isn't how she...truly is. I wasn't tryna eavesdrop or nunin," at this Mrs. L rose an arched eyebrow, "but she seems to not have a good role model. No offense to your building ma'am, but getting her in more trouble here or in jail or prison won't help her."