The Common Room ~3~

I had been sleeping well, despite what had happened on the train, at the feast, and before bed. Suddenly though, I was woken by what sounded like pecking at the dorm door. Confused and too tired to care I rolled over and decided to ignore it. Many failed attempts at trying to fall back asleep later, I finally decided to see what was pecking at the door. I opened it to see a owl, Ron's Owl. There was a note laying by his feet, as I reached for it the owl flew away. I unfolded it carefully, trying not to make much noise as I didn't want to wake Hermione and the other girls in the dorm. The note read:

Y/n, I think we should talk. I know it's late, sorry, but meet me down stairs in the common room. Please. - Ron W.

It took me a second to process the situation. First, Ron actually wanted to talk to me. I was glad to know things were somewhat okay. Second, I was curious as to why he sent his owl and didn't just come knock on the door. Or, wait to talk to me tomorrow. Many more questions crossed my mind but I started to make my way down the stairs to the common room. I would have gone back into my dorm and freshened up a bit considering I had just woken up, but it was only Ron and I felt myself rather comfortable around him so my looks at the moment weren't any concern.

As I made it to the last three steps, I saw him. Sitting on the sofa of the Gryffindor common room staring at the fire that always seemed to be burning. I don't know why, but I found myself standing there for more than a few seconds, admiring him. I snapped out of it quickly though as I wasn't sure why I had stopped in the first place. I made my way to the sofa and sat down next to him. It was quiet for a few seconds and quite awkward honestly until he broke the silence. "Thank you for coming, I couldn't sleep. Sorry if I woke you". "You did but it's fine... is everything okay Ron?", I asked him as I started to sit just a bit closer to him and look down at his face that was still focused on the fire. It was quiet again for another couple of seconds before he sat up and shuffled into a more comfortable position and looked at me.

"I just wanted to apologize for the feast, y'know, not speaking to you. Or seeming to care. I was just kind of upset about something Harry had said to me on the train and I didn't feel like talking much." Ron explained to me. I took a second to answer as I was waiting to make sure he was done talking. I understood where he was coming from, but at the same time I was his best friend and he was able to tell me everything and he knew that; and in that moment I became sad he hadn't just talked to me. "It's okay... I just wish you would have said so instead of acting like I just wasn't there. What happened to caring about me? Harry and Hermione knew something was up but you didn't pay me any mind, any at all." The words just slipped out. I wasn't sure why I said that last part and I wasn't sure why I sounded so angry. It was then that I realized I knew exactly what conversation he was talking about, and I remembered how hurt I had felt when he said he would never like me; still unsure why that even phased me.

It went quiet again, until I apologized for snapping at him, informing him I wasn't sure where it had come from. Suddenly, more words escaped my mouth before I could even think about what I was saying... "Y'know, I heard what you and Harry were saying on the train.. Well, some of it.. How you would never like me." The expression on Ron's face was hard to make out. "Not that it matters or anything right, I just felt like I should tell you I heard..", I added. The whole room fell absolutely silent as Ron still had that expression on his face but now looking back at the fire instead of me. He almost looked confused about the situation.

I couldn't handle how awkward it felt. I didn't know what else to say, or do; and Ron wasn't saying or doing anything either. "So was that all... You just wanted to apologize?" I asked. "Oh, uh, yea..". "Alright well it's really late and classes start tomorrow, I'm going to go back to bed now.. You should too. Goodnight Ron", I said as I got up as quickly as possible and walked up the stairs to the dorms before he could respond.

As i shut the door and walked over to my bed the only thing I could think about was: Why did everything feel so awkward, and why did it seem like our whole friendship has sunk and for no reason at all?

Proof Read/Edited ~ jan. 7, 2021

Word Count ~ (875)

(a/n) - I'm sorry guys, I know this is probably really bad but I'm trying my best to make it as good as I can and also make it make sense, lol. xx