My First Choice ~19~

The clock was about to strike twelve when I heard a voice behind me.

"You came?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ron... of course I did." - "I didn't think you wanted to see me, let alone talk to me." - "I've wanted nothing more than to talk to you and try and figure this out... I was just embarrassed."

He nodded. We were still standing at opposite sides of the common room. I was standing by the couch while he was still standing at the bottom of the stairs.

"Why don't you come sit?" I said.

And he did.

It was quiet, but not awkward or uncomfortable. It never was. This is how I knew we needed to fix this.

"Well, you asked me here so why don't you start first. Explain what you need to. I swear I'm listening this time."

For the first time in almost 2 months I saw Ron smile. I felt at home.

"Before I start, I need to know that no matter how crazy what I'm about to tell you sounds, you'll believe me anyways." I nodded "Of course I will."

"Okay... good. So look. Over Christmas break I got a letter. It wasn't delivered by an owl so I was confused. It was just, there by my bedroom door. And it wasn't addressed to anyone on the envelope. When I opened it though, I understood... It was from Neville."

"Why would Neville be sending you a letter?"

"That's the thing- I'm getting there. Anyways, here. I figured I'd just let you read it. Considering it wasn't even addressed to me... but to you. I just didn't know until after I opened it and at that point I was too curious not to read it..."

Suddenly I remembered my plans to stay at the Burrow for Christmas break but my mom wanted to take me to the muggle world and stay at a nice hotel for the week. I never got the chance to tell Neville. So, he must have thought I was at the Burrow. Ron handed it to me.

I unfolded the letter and read it aloud.

"Dear Y/n,

Happy Christmas. You and I both know how shy I am and how hard it is to express my feelings, let alone say them out loud. So, I'm writing you this letter.

First, I'd like to say that I know you're with Ron. And I know that things are going well and you're happy. I'm happy that you're happy. But, it hasn't kept me from wishing it was me instead.

I've loved you for a very long time. But I didn't realize until that one night by the lake. I know you remember. At that point I knew you didn't feel the same because you were already with Ron.

I know this is inappropriate but I couldn't hide it from you any longer and I just had to tell you.

Don't worry though, I don't expect anything between us to change. I still want to be friends and I don't mind seeing you with Ron. I just thought you should know.. I love you.

Yours truly, Neville L."

I didn't know what to say. I didn't know what to think. I didn't even know how to react.

I looked up at Ron to see tears brimming his eyes. And he began to speak.

"Finding out another guy loves you, seemingly just as much as I do, was already enough to try and process. But when he said 'that night by the lake', my mind thought of so many different things and none of them were good. I didn't know what to think. I know, I should have talked to you first before I got all upset, but I wouldn't have known what to say. So I didn't say anything. I just thought, if I started to act different you'd realize I found out... But when I finally realized a week ago on the Astronomy Tower that you had no idea what was going on, I knew I jumped to conclusions."

At this point we were both starting to cry. Him a bit more than me. I realized how hard this had to have been for him to read and process. Ron has always been a bit insecure about being a second choice, ever since he was little. He's always felt that his bothers got more attention than he did. Then Harry came along and everything seemed to be about him. He told me, the only time he ever felt like a first choice, was when he was with me. Last year, when Harry was referred to as the 'Chosen One', I started to call Ron 'My Chosen One', and he loved it.

"Oh... Ron." I couldn't help but give a small smile at his jealousy taking over. At this point, I couldn't be mad anymore, only feel bad for what he must have been going through.

"I don't know what you thought happened, but it was nothing. We simply just talked for a couple hours. I admit it was late, and past curfew, but nothing happened. Just deep conversation. We hadn't been able to talk for awhile so.. I would never do anything to hurt you."

I grabbed his hands in mine and squeezed them as reassurance. He looked down at our hands and smiled, and looked back at me.

"I know that now... And I feel so stupid for thinking otherwise even when it wasn't even implied in the slightest bit."

The wheels in my brain started to turn... Obviously I didn't receive the letter, so I never wrote back... So how come Neville never said anything? I mean he even told me about Luna and how he's staring to like her. Suddenly, none of this made sense. So I told Ron.

"Okay, now I'm confused. Why wouldn't he have brought it up. It's been 2 months. You'd think he would have said something since you didn't."

"That's what I was thinking... The only thing that doesn't make sense is if Neville didn't write the letter, how did they know about the night at the lake?" - "Maybe he told someone about it?" - "Maybe... but y'know Neville doesn't talk to that many people." - "Thats true... I don't know Y/n, maybe you should talk to him." - "Yeah that sound like a good idea..."

The room went silent as Ron and I just stared at each other. I began to smile and so did he, and then we both started to bust out into laughter.

"I can't believe you actually thought I'd cheat on you!" - "Me neither, I don't know what got into me!" I snorted at Ron's stupidity and jealousy. He was so adorable.

Our laughter finally subsided and I found myself cuddled up to his chest as he played with my hair.

"So, I guess we're alright then?" He asked.

"Of course we are. Next time, just talk to me and I'll talk to you. I don't ever want to go through something like that again."

"You got it, love."

With that, he kissed my head and we fell asleep on the sofa.

Two things on my mind. I'm so lucky to have this man. And, who the hell wrote that letter?

Proof Read/Edited ~ feb. 08, 2021

Word Count ~ (1205)

(a/n) - who do you think wrote the letter?

(also, as I was writing this chapter I decided to change the title of the book 😭 sorry if I confused anybody. I also want to make a new cover, if anyone would like to help with designing it or even make it please let me know :)) id love some suggestions/help