14 | rude questions

❀❀❀

14

It had been 2 days since I was told Aziz and his family wanted to get to know me for Marriage.
Aziz was around the same age as Omar Bhai and went to University with him. I had no intention to marry him, but I was convinced to at least cooperate when they come, and if I don't like him, we will reject the proposal.

I was currently sitting on a stool while Bhabi did my makeup.

"Promise me you'll give him a try?" Bhabi pleaded

Like a caveman, I just grumbled out a "Sure."

They would be arriving in a couple minutes for tea, and I was told to wait up here until I was called.A couple minutes later, I heard the doorbell ring and people talking. Bhabi came up and told me to come with her. I smoothened down my navy blue salwar kameez and fixed me satin gold hijab, and went downstairs.

"Salaam Aunty and Uncle," I greeted

"Oh, Mashallah, you've grown so much," The sweet Aunty said, whose name I don't remember.

She gave me a hug, and I sat down. I took a quick look at Aziz and realized he was staring at me.
Rude.
He quickly looked away when he realized I noticed.

"So Saima, your parents tell me you work at Robinson's Law firm," Uncle said in a gruff voice, almost sounding shocked.

"Ji, I started last week," I responded.

"Would you be willing to quit once you get married" The now not so sweet Aunty asked, not even caring about small talk. She just went straight to business.

My parents both looked at me, and in their eyes, I could tell they were pleading for me to not scare them off.

"No," I simply responded.

Both Aunty and Uncle looked at me, shocked, and Aziz looked like he wanted to get run over by a car.

"Even if you're husband didn't want you to work?" Uncle asked

"He would not be my husband if that's what he wanted, I would've discussed this before marriage," I said

Baba then quickly switched the subject to what Aziz did and his career.

"My boy makes enough money to provide for you both and more why would you work?" Aunty asked

"If I want to work, why can't I, the beloved wife of Prophet Muhammed (PBUH) worked?" I asked

"Fine," She said, visibly not happy with my response.

"Would you take your hijab off after marriage" She then asked.
What kind of question was that?!
Are these people out of their minds?! These questions are one of the reasons why I dislike marriage. Unbelieveable.

To this Bhai responded,

"Why would she ever do that! She wears a hijab for Allah. Why would you want her do disobey God? Don't you want a religious daughter in law?

I've been struggling with Hijab for a very long time, but I would never take it off because someone asked me to. Heck! I wouldn't take it off for anything if it weren't for my Hijab god knows how far from the deen I'd be.

After that, they quickly drank their tea and left, saying they'd call with their decision on Friday.

I think we already know what my decision was...

❀❀❀