24 | wedding bells

❀❀❀

24

"Well, congratulations, Saima looks like everything is perfect! You're back to normal," Dr. Patel said with a grin, his pearly whites on full display. After I nearly gave my family a heart attack, we went straight to the doctors to make sure everything was okay.

"Thanks, Dr. Patel!" I said, jumping off the examination table

"Now remember, be careful, absolutely no high movement activities don't go rock climbing or anything of that sort," He said teasingly.

I definitely wouldn't be doing that.

"Aw, man! I was planning on going skydiving tomorrow!" I said sarcastically

He chuckled and reminded me once AGAIN if anything seems off to come back.

"Bye, Dr. Patel," I said, waving and went to the waiting room to see my family, my WHOLE family.

Mama, Baba, Zara, Bhai, and Bhabi. I don't see why all of them needed to come. But I do appreciate their support.

"How was it," Mama asked, rushing to me.

...Hey.. who are you," I asked, pretending to have amnesia.

Mama whacked me across the head.

"Badtameez beti," She said, scolding me.

❀❀

"Hey, where are we going? This isn't the way home!" I asked

"You'll see," Bhai said with a smirk.

Usually, we would've taken a left from the Doctors office, but we took a right instead.

After a 20 minute drive, we arrived at my favorite twin's house.

"A Dawat? In this attire?!" I asked

I was wearing one of Bhai's old university of Toronto hoodies with some beat-up Air Forces and some mom jeans. The jeans, I will say, are pretty fancy to wear to the Doctors office but hey! I got my memory back, and this is how I decided to celebrate. I fixed my hijab, and we went in.

"SURPRISE" They all screamed.

I looked into the crowd to see Rukaiya, Fatima, Angie, Abu Bakr, Maya, my Fupis, and all of my amazing auntie and uncles. I also saw Zayn, but that doesn't matter. Rukaiya and Fatima came up to me.

"Ahh, we missed you so much!!" Fatima said, giving me a heart-squeezing hug.

"Mama, who are they," I said, pointing at the twins again. I loved this fake amnesia thing.

They both looked at me like they were so scared, and I felt so bad. Before I could tell them I was joking, Mama slapped me.

"Aye Badtameez, don't worry, girls, she's a sagol she justs joking," Mama said, whacking me again.

"I'm kidding, guys. Don't be mad," I said, hugging them.

"I missed you guys; it's good to be back, and thank you for all of this. It wasn't necessary, but I love it," I said, giving them each a kiss on the cheek.

They all did overdo themselves. The house was decorated with tons of balloons and decorations. I even saw a banner that said: "Welcome Back." Reading it made me think I came back from vacation, but instead, I got my memory back! I saw all of my favorite foods lined up on the table too!

"Don't thank us. It was Zayn Bhai's idea!" Rukaiya said

At this, I raised my eyebrows.

"Really?" I asked why he would think of this

"Well, him Omar Bhai and Anum Api."

That made sense. I went around, greeting and thanking everyone. Alhamdulillah was the only word that came to mind right now.

"Salaam! I heard this was your idea," I teased Zayn. He leaned against the doorway to the kitchen; it would be rude to greet everyone and not him.

"Waalaikumsalam and no, it was nothing. It was all Omar and Anum Appi," He said, his cheeks turning red.

"Well, either way, Thank you, you know for everything I don't like to think about what would've happened if you weren't-" I couldn't get myself to finish the sentence.

"Hey! No, it was nothing. I'm just glad you're okay," He said with a smile, which made me smile.

I then awkwardly left, making some excuse about Bhabi needing me. God, I was so awkward, but it wasn't halal for me to be there, talking to him alone, even though Bhabi was one meter away, clearly eavesdropping.

"Do I hear wedding bells?" she said in a sing-along voice while grabbing the sodas from the fridge.

"We're Muslim. We don't have wedding bells," I said bluntly.

"Does that mean there's a wedding?" She said, raising an eyebrow

"BHABI, you know how I feel about marriage."

"People change," she hummed.

People change, But I think I've had enough change for a while.

❀❀❀