27 | announcements

❀❀❀

27

"Local, renowned Lawyer Alfred Robinson, finally arrested in a motel in Prince Edward Island. After being on the run for over three months for assa-" I turned off the tv. I didn't know what to feel. I was happy he was behind bars. I hadn't thought about it in a while. I was so distracted with the baby, job interviews, memorizing the Quran. I purposefully made sure every second of my day was planned out, so I didn't let my mind wander far off.

"This is good! Why are you upset? We should be throwing a party now that he's rotting in a cell." Bhai exclaimed, standing up.

Mama kept rubbing my shoulders, "I'm so happy he's behind bars... but I feel icky thinking about him and everything. I haven't thought about it in a while," I explained.

"Look, why don't we go out? To take your mind off of things?" Bhai suggested, "Anum is still napping upstairs. I'm sure she'll be fine, so you and me, we can even go pick up Zara from school and have a siblings day."

Before I could even object, Mama forced me upstairs to get ready and threw us both out the door.

❀❀

"Are we there, yettt?" A very impatient Zara whined from the backseat.

"Shut up," I grumbled, that was the 5th time she asked, and we had barely gotten out of her school's parking lot.

Eventually, we arrived at the mall, and a very excited Zara leaped out of the car, running inside. We first watched a movie, and then Bhai took us shopping, and we ate at the food court. I didn't buy much, just a new book and a lip gloss, but Zara. On the other hand, she looked like she bought the whole mall.

"We're home!" Zara yelled as I unlocked the door with my free hand, while the other was holding 1/3 of Zara's bags. Bhai then came in with the rest of the bags, sweating from exhaustion.

"I'm never taking you both to the mall again," He huffed.

❀❀

It was dinner, and the 6 of us were at the table. I had managed to grow the courage and bring up going back to work. Now that Robinson was in jail, I think I can do it. I also got a job interview from Clifford Law Firm, and I wanted to go.

"I have something to tell you guys."

"Saima, don't freak out. We have something to say," Baba said at the same time as me.

"You go first," Baba said.

"Okay... so I recently got a job interview at Clifford Law Firm, and it's 10 minutes away, it's close to the Masjid, and I think it's time for me to go back to work," I rambled. I looked at their faces expecting to see anger, but instead, Baba replied, "Okay."

"That's all...?" I asked baffled. The last time I brought it up, they were all angry.

"Yes, you may take the interview, and if you get the job, that's good as long as you don't freak out to what we're about to tell you," Baba calmly responded.

I nodded, "There's another marriage proposal."

"Baba, you know I don't want to get marr-"

Before I could finish, Bhai said "From Zayn"

I started choking on my water. 

❀❀❀