22 | pink hijab

❀❀❀

22

I was so incredibly bored. I was sitting on the couch scrolling through Netflix. When Baba and Bhai said I couldn't leave the house without someone else, they meant either Angie, Baba, Bhabi, and Bhai. Besides them, I wasn't able to leave the house. After a while hanging out with your Brother gets annoying. Angie was also busy herself, as she drowned herself in Islamic classes and whatnot, it was very inspiring, but she was swamped.
Right now, I was home alone - something everyone was reluctant to do, but I insisted I would be okay. Everyone was at work or school while I was bored at home.

I was in the kitchen, making myself some Guacamole when the doorbell started ringing.
I quickly grabbed a Hijab and opened the door to find Aunty Asma and Rukaiya.

"Salaam! Habibti, how are you?" Aunty Asma asked. She passed me a container full of food.

"Waalaikumsalam, come in, come in!" I said, gesturing them in

"No another day Zayn's in the car. We just wanted to bring you some food," She said, smiling.

I looked ahead, and Zayn indeed was in the car looking right at us. I suddenly felt like an idiot wearing my bright pink floral slip-on Hijab, one of Bhai's old college hoodies and sweatpants. Not exactly the cutest look.

I know how mad Mama would be if I let guests - especially Aunty Asma leave without tea.

"No no Aunty, please come in tell him to come too. I was going to have tea and would love company," I inwardly cringed.

"Alright," Aunty smiled, gesturing Zayn to come in. She took a seat while Rukaiya and I went into the kitchen; I quickly turned the kettle on and looked at Rukaiya.

"Why are you laughing," I asked, fully knowing why she was laughing.

"I'm sorry, but your hijab WHY" She snickered.

"Shut up," I murmured, grabbing some cookies and snacks to take to the table.

I went back into the living room, where Aunty was seated, and Zayn was too.

"Assalamualaikum Saima, how are you," He said

"Waalaikumsalam, I'm good. Alhamdulillah, how are you?" I asked;  I hated small talk.

Rukaiya and I took a seat across from them.

"So, Saima, how's your memory? Have you remembered anything?" Aunty asked

"No, but inshallah soon," I responded, going back into the kitchen and pouring the tea into the cups. I placed everything on a tray and set it on the coffee table.

I texted Mama letting her know that Aunty was here, "Mama will be here soon Aunty, she says she has something to talk to you about," I said, taking a sip of my Turkish tea.

As we waited for Mama to come, Aunty, Rukaiya, and I would converse while Zayn just awkwardly sat there. He said some stuff here and there, but for the most part, he just sat there—poor guy.

"Fupi, I have some work to do; I need to go; I can pick you guys up later," He said, getting up and putting his coat on.

"That's not needed; I can drop you guys off later," I said, making no room for objections.

"Alright, Thank you for the tea Saima Assalamualaikum," He said, opening the door and smiling at me.

"Waalaikumsalam" I said, closing the door.

I turned around to see Aunty and Rukaiya staring at me with a mischievous glint, exchanging looks at each other.

"Ji?" I asked

"Nothing Beta," Aunty replied, but I knew it wasn't nothing.

                                                                                                             ❀❀

Mama had come shortly after that, and Rukaiya and I were sitting in my room. I'm delighted she was over; it was nice to have some company.

"Appi?"

"Mhm"

"Who's Khizrah?" 

"Khizrah's my best friend." I said with no hesitation.

"Then how come I haven't seen her?"

That was a good question; I noticed that not only would my family not talk about her, but I had also blocked her on all social media - even email. Whatever happened had to be bad if I blocked her email.

"I don't know. Let's ask Angie!" I said, grabbing my phone and facetiming her.

It took a while for Angie to pick up; she was at the Masjid, so I felt bad for calling, but she called us back later, and I asked the question.

"Khizrah? Why do you want to know?"

"Well, she is apart of our group," I said; Angie, Khizrah, and I were all best friends.

"Was apart of our group."

"Please, Angie, how am I supposed to remember anything if no one helps me out."

"Fine Khizrah betrayed us, mainly you. Remember Ali? Her boyfriend, the prick, spread rumors about us, and Khizrah didn't care at all. If anything, she fueled it by telling him our secrets."

"No way, She would never."

"Too late, she already did," Angie said, no emotion in her voice.

"After that, You completely changed. You stopped going to the Masjid in case she was there, stopped volunteering at the Islamic school because of her; your Brother even beat up Ali, which ruined their friendship."

I didn't know what to say, I was hoping this would bring back some memories, but it didn't. I had known Khizrah almost all my life, and our parents were so close she was a sister, and she did this to me?

I thanked Angie and said goodbye. Rukaiya was looking at me regretfully.

"Maybe ignorance is bliss?" She said with an awkward smile.

Maybe it is.

❀❀❀