17 | past

/please don't forget to breathe while reading this chapter lol it gets a bit intense.../

❀❀❀

17

All I saw was white.
Was I dead?
Why was everything bright?

"She's awake," someone said

"Saima?" Mama whispered

"Salaam Mama," I croaked out.

Omar Bhai then passed me a glass of water beside him; Zara stood staring as if I would crack any second now.

"I'm here. I'm here. How is she?" A tall lady said, running into the room, her hijab on the verge of falling off.

The lady then stood beside Bhai.

"Saima, Saima, are you okay," She said, caressing my cheek.

I flinched and moved away.

"Who's she?" I whispered, looking at my family

They all looked at me like I was crazy.

Baba then yelled

"DOCTOR!"

❀❀

"Temporary Amnesia," I heard the doctor say to my family in the hallway.

Amnesia? I had amnesia? He must be wrong!

Zara then came in with a small smile. Slowly closing the door behind me so I could no longer hear the lies, the doctor's told my family. Zara then sat down on the chair beside me.

"When are we going home? I have my Quran competition tomorrow," I asked.

I had finally memorized Surah Baqarah, and I was asked to recite it at the Qur'an competition. I was so excited!!

Zara furrowed her eyebrows. She looked so big when did she get so tall?

"Quran competition? Appi that was like 5 years ago."

I looked at Zara like she was going insane because she was. I was literally at the rehearsal yesterday.

I didn't realize that Bhai and that lady were holding hands, standing by the door. The lady at tears in her eyes and Bhai looked frustrated.

I then looked at their hands and looked wide-eyed at Bhai.

"BHAI, why are you holding a girl's hand!! You know that's haraam!! You have to wait for your wife" I asked what was wrong with him what would Allah think.

I then raised my hands and made dua.

"Oh, Allah, please forgive my idiot brother for being so unfaithful and not listening to you. I've told him so many times that it was haraam, but he never listens-"

I was then interrupted by Mama, Baba and the doctor coming in.

"Mama, say something. Bhai has a girlfriend, you know that's haraam."

"Saima, she's my wife," Bhai said he sounded so sad. When did he get married? Why would he get married without me? Why was he so sad did he not want a wife then why-

"Ms. Rahman, when you... uh got choked, there was not enough oxygen and blood flow going to your brain, but then you hit your head on the desk. You got a concussion and fell, causing a temporary memory loss... and you may be a bit ... delusional, but don't worry with some Brain training, it should take about 31 days for you to fully recover and remember... I mean, you have the least severe concussion, and not much was damaged... you will be fine," Dr. Patel said with an awkward smile.