The Awakening

4/2/2022

OO OO OO OO

So... it turned out that the Gods were real.

OO OO OO OO

Now, Percy had never really thought about his religion. Like- he didn't know what Gods he believed in or if he believed in any. It just... wasn't something he'd thought about.

His mom never talked about religion, and Gabe definitely didn't. He knew a lot of his neighborhood went to the church, mosque, or synagogue, but his mom didn't, and neither did he.

So he'd never really thought about the Gods beyond what he researched for giving gifts to Triton, or looking into the holidays, or the homework Triton gave him... okay so he'd thought about it some but not as Gods. They were just... Beings that he'd read about, not considering Their divinity.

It just wasn't important, he was training to be a waterbending Master and everything else came second.

But now... well now he was thinking about it. Mainly because he was talking to two Gods, river Gods apparently.

He had a lot of questions, like was Triton a God? Was he not named after Triton the Sea God but was actually a Sea God? Was Poseidon Triton's dad? Were the other rulers of the sea also Gods? Were the Greek Gods the only ones? Were there other Gods? What about the ones his classmates worshiped? Why were they talking to him? Why did they call him Godling?

The River Gods did Their best to answer his questions, but They seemed a bit overwhelmed by them.

Triton was a God, the God of Waves and Calm Seas, and sometimes connected to the Tides.

Poseidon was the King of the Seas, God of the Seas from the myths, and yes, Triton's dad.

The other Rulers of the Sea were also Gods, there were many.

And They called him Godling because he was a DemiGod, his Parent a God. They assumed it was Triton or someone close to Him because of the attention Triton gave him.

He didn't think Triton was his dad, that would be weird. Triton was a good friend, practically his brother. And he didn't even know Percy's name at first, surely his dad would know that?

The River Gods didn't have enough answers for him in the end.

OO OO OO OO

When Triton returned a few days later Percy had questions for him.

A lot of questions.

He wrote them down.

In a list.

A six page list.

It was an important list.

Triton had frozen when Percy brought it up–and wasn't that a panic attack, what if Triton hadn't wanted Percy to know? What if he didn't want Percy to know anything about Gods? What if Percy wasn't supposed to know? What if it was just for the divine and as a mortal he wasn't supposed to speak of the Gods like that?

But Triton had moved again after, and had taken Percy's hand and agreed to answer his questions.

He did make a rule about it though, he said he had the right to refuse any questions without giving a reason, because apparently some information wasn't to share and other information might put Percy in danger.

That was fine, Percy trusted that Triton would answer what he could.

Triton may have kept it secret from him before, but Percy didn't think he'd lie to him.