My Mother Teaches Me Bullfighting

Hope you all enjoy the chapter! I rewrote the fight scene like three times before I was satisfied, originally it was too similar to canon, then it just didn't flow right. I'm pleased with how it turned out in the end.

Reminder that the monsters are actually very dangerous and the Minotaur especially is one of the most dangerous monsters in the myths. A child beating it is a huge deal.

4/2/2022

Come yell at me on tumblr: Percabeth4Life
Come chat with me on discord: https://discord.gg/3tGNJhu

OO OO OO OO

My mom tore through the night. She was going at least thirty miles over the speed limit, heedless of the wing buffeting the car, the rain lashing against the windshield, the oppressive darkness closing in on us. I couldn't see anything outside, and I knew she couldn't possibly be able to either, but she never took her foot off the gas.

I rubbed my arms, trying to lessen the electricity sparking over it in rivulets. The burning salt rubbed at me, digging into wounds I didn't have. I decided that being able to sense magic was more of a curse than a blessing. I wanted the feelings to go away .

Lightning flashed in the sky and over my skin, a boom rattled the windows and my bones. The energy blazed over and through me.

I forced the sensations to the back of my mind and demanded answers.

I knew the sea, it was a second home to me, but the land... clearly I was missing stuff.

"You and my mom know each?" I asked Grover lightly.

Grover's eyes flicked to the rearview mirror, searching for something despite there being nothing (and it being impossible to see anything). "Not exactly... I mean, we've never met in person. But she knew I was watching you."

I blinked slowly, my mom knew he was spying on me?

"Watching... me?

"Keeping tabs on you, making sure you were okay- but I wasn't faking being your friend," he added quickly, turning to look at me earnestly. "I am your friend."

I had my doubts. I wasn't sure how I felt about him keeping tabs on me while "being my friend". Why was he doing that? And why was he feeding Mr. Brunner information? Who was Mr. Brunner? Why was my mom okay with this?

Did she want to- want to send me away?

I swallowed and studied the floor for a long moment. I was out of my depth here and I- I didn't know what was going on. This was nothing like what I knew of the sea.

My eyes caught on Grover's legs.

"So you're a satyr?" I asked, wondering at his furry legs.

He let out a sharp, throaty, " Blaa-ha-ha ! Yes, I'm a satyr."

I nodded slowly, "Got it."

I jerked when the weird bellowing noise rose up again from somewhere behind us, closer than before.

Whoever or whatever was chasing was still on our trail, and gaining.

"Percy," my mom said. "There's too much to explain and not enough time. We have to get you to safety."

We weren't doing anything in the car! Surely they had time to explain what was going on .

"Safety from what ? Who's after me?"