Day 6 - Highway to Hell.

"You need a ride?"

A scared girl on the side of the road looked both ways for any more cars.

There wasn't any.

"Yeah sure. Thanks." She hopped into the big semi truck.

The truck driver smiled at her and pressed his foot on the gas.

"My God, you don't look no older than 17. What are you doing out her by yourself? It's early."

She sighed staring out the window. "I got into it with my parents. Took off."

"They must be worried sick about you."

She shrugs, "Maybe. But they've never cared about me. They're both too career driven to even give me a passing glance. It's been like that since I was a kid."

"I'm guessing they worked hard for you. I'd imagine your college fund is more than enough for you."

"Funny, that's what we were arguing about. College. I want to major in arts, but they refuse to pay for it if I do. So basically, I either struggle to find another way or major in something I hate like law or nursing."

"I'm sure you'll figure it out..."

"Oh, I'd rather not say my name if you don't mind. I appreciate the ride, but you're still a stranger."

He nods, "I completely understand. I'm Bill by the way. Bill the lone driver. You're the first person I've seen on this road in a while."

"Tell me about it. I've been out here looking for anyone."

"Where are you heading?"

"University of Michigan. I graduate in three months and I'm going to an open house." I will make my dreams a reality."

"By all means, right April?"

She nods, "Right." "Wait? You said my name. I didn't tell you my name. How do you know my name?!?"

His smiled was warm and creepy. "I knew who you were the moment I stopped to pick you up."

She pulled at the door while it was still moving. "Let me out! NOW!"

"I'm sorry. We have a destination to meet and I am never tardy."

"Where—where are you taking me?"

"To a place you put yourself in... when you killed your parents."

"What are the hell are you talking about? I didn't kill my parents!"

"It wasn't that well thought out. Since you have short term memory loss, I'll help you out. You had a fight with your parents about college. They told you they wouldn't support what you wanted to major in. So, when they slept, you took your dad's pistol from his closet, muffled the shots, and shot them both in the head. You then tried to cover your tracks, but I'm sure the police will figure it out. Your plan to use the money from their deaths for college won't work."

She stared at him speechless.

"But there's something you weren't aware of. Your parents arrange for all that money to go to their charities."

"What!"

"Yes. That thought in your mind is correct. You killed your parents for nothing. You got nothing."

Her face dark as realization sunk in. "I'm dead, aren't I?"

"Yes."

"How?"

"Starvation, dehydration, pick one. You've been looking for days. Until your body shut down. They've probably found you along the road by now."

She sunk back and adjusted herself in her seat. "What's it like there?"

The truck driver's true appearance revealed itself. The girl was a bit taken aback.

"Hot." He laughed as he sped up.

Down the rising sun, the truck disappeared along with its occupants.