Day 28 - A Blind Eye.

Not a lot of people know what I deal with everyday. I can't live alone, I have no sense of security, and I have no peace. At the age of 21, I've been blind since birth. I stay with my parents because a judge doesn't see fit that I can stay alone. I know my neighborhood like I know my waking cane. I can do it. Blind people live alone all the time. I CAN DO IT. I just have to prove it. And I will... today.

"Help! Someone help! Amy!"

Several people pushed past me in the opposite direction yelling a multitude.

"Someone call 911!"

"Did she get hit?!?"

"Poor little Amy!"

Amy? Amy LEWIS? Nine years old. Lives two houses down. Wanders a lot, loves ice cream. The ice cream stand is across the street. She wanders...

I quickly turn on my heels to push past people to get to Amy. When I found my way I kneeled down, "Is she conscious?"

"W–what?"

"Is your daughter conscious, yes or no?"

"Yes she is, but barely."

"Elevate her head please." I pulled out a medical bag from my purse. I doctored on her head to stop her bleeding. "There. She could have a concussion or internal bleeding, but her head is patched up. It felt like she was bleeding heavily there."

"Thank you Abby."

"You're very welcome." I smiled and stood up. As I walked away, the crowd started to clap.

I felt proud. Very proud... until I got a text.

I walked back into my home where I knew I was alone and played the message.

"You are welcome."

"I told you to hit a random person in the street, not a 9 year old girl!"

"Is a 9 year old girl not a random person?"

"That's not the point!"

"There's no way a judge won't let you live alone now. You  should be thanking me."

"Yeah, what if something happens and she still dies?"

"What if she would've bleed to death on the street? I'd like Apple Pay please."

I threw my phone in frustration and fell to the floor.