CHAPTER 14 - Be my Partner

"Be my partner for the ball" The braided man told you, hoping you would agree to come with him.

"You do realize that you've already called off the engagement, right?" Nozel was anticipating your answers. He had currently invited you to a ball that was exclusive for nobles.

"And how does that make a difference?" He asked in return as he continued to speak, "It's not odd, your clan's a close acquaintance to the Silva's" .

"I suppose so" you said but you already got plans today.

"But I have to decline—" you sighed as Nozel won't take no for an answer.

"And why is that?" He inquired again which made you sigh but longer than before.

"I was planning on seeing Noelle"

"Noelle?" He repeated

"Yes. I was supposedly training her since I did make a promise to Lady Acier" you shrugged your hands as he looked at you.

"Don't." He said.

"I thought you want her to improve?" You asked confused. It's his time to sigh and spoke, "I don't want her in the battlefield. The stronger she gets, the more battles she'll have"

"I don't think that's the case. The longer she stays weak, the harder it is to catch up" you said your ideals as Nozel went up to you and buried his head on your neck.

"N-Nozel..?" You patted the man. He seemed so tired of everything, the same way you felt when you got... Cursed.

"H-hey... Are you alright..?" You asked him but he didn't reply. You bit your lip and thought that you can't leave him like this alone.

"A-alright, I'll go with you" you concluded

"I appreciate it" he whispered which made your heart skip a beat. Subtle things like these are always the one to make your stomach have butterflies.

"But I'm afraid I don't have anything fancy to wear" you told the man as he raised his head and grabbed your soft hands. You felt his hands and it was considerably soft rather than the worn down and bruised callous hands.

You tightened your grip subconsciously and Nozel was a little surprised with your subtle action. Your warmth was intoxicating to him but he knew very well that he can't have that.

He had broken you so many times and he's sure that you don't love him the same way you have before.

Before you know it, you've reached a dressing room of some sort as maids came in. Nozel sat on a chair and he was served some tea while you were being dragged with clothing on the maid's hands.

"Am I going to try these all?" You asked in concern for yourself. "We won't have time left if I'll try these all.." you concluded and the maids nodded.

They disregarded some outfits but they left one outfit in particular. Nozel recognized this outfit very well, it was his mother's favourite ball attire. You were escorted to the fitting room and quickly came out.

The maids let you stand infront of a mirror while adjusting the dress and rendering it a but to fit your look. They also did your hair and put on a barely noticeable makeup.

Nozel can't help but admire you from his seat. You were absolutely stunning in his eyes but ofcourse, he was to prideful to say that to you. He looked at your eyes that glistened under the light and the soft glowing skin that he absolutely wanted to touch.

"You look stunning" he complimented as you looked at him with a playful shock.

"Who are you and what have you done to my Nozel!?" You asked while he raised his eyebrow.