chapter two

"Blimey, Dad!" Ron exclaims as we continue to climb up the stairs of the arena, the top just coming into view. "How far up are we?"

"We'll put it this way," a very familiar and unwelcome voice says.

Looking down, we see Draco Malfoy and his vile father, Lucius Malfoy. "If it rains, you'll be the first to know." I roll my eyes and as we go to walk away, Draco starts to gloat. "Father and I are in the Minister's box, my personal invitation of Cornelius Fudge himself!"

Lucius then jabs at him with his cane - telling him not to boast - and for a brief moment, I feel a twinge of sympathy. I've overhead people gossiping about the Malfoy's and because of their status, Draco often feels like he has to boast about things so people will appreciate him, but it just doesn't come off the right way.

Then, Lucius catches onto Harry's foot and says, quite threateningly, "Do enjoy yourselves, won't you? While you can..." I scoff and pull Harry away, giving Lucius a sneer glare. As we walk away, me and Draco make quick eye contact and I could've sworn I saw him smile slightly. 

Then we walk away and make our way to the very top, looking down at the rest of the arena, crowded with wizards and witches alike. As soon as we've all made our way to the top, the Irish team fly past us, green and white trails coming off of their brooms. 

An Irish figure appears, made out of fireworks, and begins to dance an Irish jig. "Here come the Bulgarians!" I shout as the team clothed in red and black burst through the firework figure. Everyone continues cheering through the teams introductions and it dies down as Cornelius Fudge starts to speak. 

"Good evening! As Minister for Magic, it gives me great pleasure to welcome each and every one of you to the final of the four hundred and twenty-second Quidditch World Cup. Let the match begin!"

The Snitch flies out into the arena and the match starts, the crowds screaming and shouting at every moment possible. After a long but thrilling match, the Irish end up winning, despite Krum catching the Snitch at the end. 

Once we're back in the tent, everyone is celebrating the Irish win. Fred and George mimic an Irish dance and both start to sing in a ridiculous high voice, until Ron interrupts. 

"There's no one like Krum! He's like a bird, the way he rides the wind! He's more than an athlete - he's an artist!" Ginny laughs and jokes about Ron being in love and after glancing at the twins, we all smirk. 

"Viktor, I love you!" I exclaim dramatically, taking Ron's hand and kneeling down. Fred and George simultaneously say, "Victor, I do," as they take his other hand. "When we're apart, my heart beats only for you!" Me, the twins and Harry sing, pushing Ron around jokingly. 

Suddenly, Mr Weasley runs back inside and tells us that we need to leave immediately. I quickly make sure my wand is on me, then we all run out to see fire everywhere and Death Eaters marching around the field. 

"Get back to the Portkey everyone and stick together!" Mr Weasley exclaims as we all run in different directions. I follow Harry, Ron and Hermione whilst the twins, Ginny and Mr Weasley run in another direction.

As we're running through the field, screams of agony are heard all around and spells are flying around everywhere. I hear the sounds of people being tortured and as I try to block it out, me and Harry get separated from Ron and Hermione, crowds pushing between us.

"Harry! Aurora!" I hear Hermione shout, but I turn away and grab Harry's arm. "Come on, we need to find the Portkey!" Harry starts running with me and the screams just never end, my ears ringing from all the pain. 

People barge and rush past constantly and someone trips me up, my ankle twisting slightly and I feel a large amount of dirt smear across my face. I feel Harry start to help me up again and I as I start to push myself up, someone crashes into my face and the last thing I hear is Harry shouting my name...

"Aurora?" My eyes slowly flutter open and I see Harry's worried face slowly fall away. "Come on, get up," he says as he helps me stand up. "Can you walk?" He asks. I carefully walk on my injured foot and nod my head, so we start to walk through the field, the smell of smoke wherever you turn and the distant red glow of fire in the distance. 

As we're walking, I hear someone else and when I look to where the sound of crunching is coming from, I see someone wearing a lot of black. "Shh," I whisper, hiding behind a burnt tent, Harry crouched behind me. 

The man raises his wand and shouts a spell - one I've never heard before - into the sky. "Morsmordre!" The spell launches into the sky and the Dark Mark appears, which makes me gasp aloud. 

Then, the man looks over and sees us.

"Run, now," I whisper-shout and we both start to run away from the man. I try to keep up with my limp, but when we turn back around, the man has disappeared. Then, we hear voices in the distance and out of nowhere, Ron and Hermione run into us. 

"We've been looking for you for ages!" Ron exclaims. "Thought we'd lost you." We all look up at the Dark Mark and Harry starts to groan in pain, his hand on his scar. Then, a group of men all yell "Stupefy!"

"Duck!" I shout and all of us drop down quickly, the spells crashing into each other. "Stop!" I hear Mr Weasley yell as he runs towards us. "That's my son!"

He rushes over and pulls us all into a hug, asking if we're okay. "Which of you conjured it?" We pull out of the hug to see Barty Crouch, a member of the Ministry. "You've all been discovered at the scene of a crime!"

Mr Weasley says we couldn't possibly have done it and I whisper to Harry that it's the Dark Mark in the sky. As the group of men leave, I stop them. "There was a man, he conjured it, I think he ran over in that direction," I say, pointing across the field.

"A man, Aurora? Who?" Mr Weasley asks and I just shake my head. "I don't know, we didn't see his face," I reply, looking up at the Dark Mark and filled with dread.