chapter forty-four

"The Unbreakable Vow... are you sure that's what Snape said?" Ron asks, looking at me and Harry, trying to piece together the information. We're travelling back to the Burrow for Christmas and Harry is joining us this year, but Hermione is unable to as she's spending it with her family and because she's had a falling out with Ron.

"Positive, why?" Harry replies, looking back at Ron. "It's just... you can't break an Unbreakable Vow." I hold back a chuckle as Harry tells Ron that he worked that out himself, a slight note of sarcasm in his voice. "I don't understand how... oh, bloody hell," Ron replies, his voice dropping as he looks to the compartment door.

I turn around to see Lavender Brown standing outside the compartment door. She exhales on the door and draws a large love heart with "R + L" written inside, multiple kisses on the outside. She mutters something to Ron before walking away, leaving us all slightly confused.

"All she wants to do is snog me," Ron says, clearly tired of being with Lavender, "my lips are getting chapped, look!" He leans over to Harry who forcefully pushes him back. Then, Hermione walks past and sees it. Tears in her eyes, she storms away.

"Ron, you've got to break up with her," I say, getting a small nod from Ron. "So, what happens to you?" Harry starts, his Potions book in his hands, "What happens if you break an Unbreakable Vow?"

Me and Ron exchange a look with each other. "You die."

-

"Hello! We're here!" Ron exclaims as I shut the door behind us, a strong smell of cinnamon emitting from somewhere in the house. Molly and Arthur walk through from the living room and when they see me, Harry, Ron and Ginny, they pull us all into a large group hug.

"It's so wonderful to see you all for Christmas again," Molly gushes, pressing kisses to everyone's cheeks. "I've got presents for everyone," I say, motioning to my extra suitcase. Arthur ruffles my hair slightly before he takes my suitcase from me, saying that he'll put all of them underneath the tree.

I thank him before I turn to Molly. "Are the twins here?" I ask, excited to finally get to spend some good, quality time with them. She nods, a happy smile on her face, and motions up the stairs. "They're in Fred's room."

After thanking her, I part from Harry - who joins Arthur in the living room - and I run upstairs, eager to see my favourite twins again. Once I reach Fred's room, I knock on the door, but I use a 'special knock' that I made up with the twins, so they know it's me.

True enough, the door almost immediately swings open and I'm greeted with the grinning faces of Fred and George. "AURORA!" I beam as they scoop me up, both of them hugging me tightly. "I've missed you guys so much!" I exclaim, their comforting smell of fudge, marshmallows and a faint tone of fire or smoke making me feel properly at home.

Eventually, they put me back down and begin to ramble about the new jokes and sweets that they've been making.

"Oh! That reminds me," I say, a thought jumping to the front of my mind, "do you have any non-joke sweets with you? I want to include some in my present to Draco because I know that his Christmas is not going to be enjoyable."

They both nod and Fred opens a nearby drawer, searching for something, as George gives me a sad smile. I have been sending them letters every so often and I have mentioned a few times how bad I always feel for Draco, his family and the danger constantly surrounding him.

"Here," Fred says, making me look at him and he holds up a small, drawstring bag which appears to be filled to the brim with sweets. "There's a lot of chocolate, fudge and sweets in there."

 I thank them both and take the bag gratefully. "I'm going to go write to him and send off his present, so I'll see you both downstairs for dinner?" I say, getting happy nods from the both of them. So, I wave goodbye and, after picking up my leftover bags from outside their bedroom, make my way up some more stairs to my bedroom.

I enter, walk to my desk and rummage around in my backpack until I find a medium sized, wrapped up present, a label on the front that reads: 'Draco, I hope this brings a smile to your Christmas! Love, Aurora.' I bought him some more romance novels, like the one I saw him reading quite some time ago, a chain with an enchanted charm that will prevent him from major harm and a dark green sweater - with a large, silver 'D' on the front - that I asked Molly to make for him.

I pull out a piece of parchment and start writing a short letter to him:

Draco,

I hope that you're doing well and that thing's at home aren't too overwhelming for you. Just to remind you again, you know you can always write to me and confide in me. I'm your friend.

I have included your Christmas present and a bag of sweet treats, courtesy of Fred and George. It's not much, but I hope that you enjoy them. 

Looking forward to seeing you after Christmas! Sending well wishes,

Your friend,

Aurora

I enclose the letter in an envelope, seal it and set it on top of the present. Once making sure everything is there, I shout for Hedwig and after a few moments, she flies in and lands on my outstretched arm.

"Hello, beautiful," I say, smiling as I stroke her soft, white feathers. She chirps happily and when I give her a small treat from a pot I have on my desk, she eagerly picks up Draco's package. I open my window and watch as she flies away, her white figure slowly disappears into the sky.

I then leave my room and head back downstairs. I pass Fred and George in the kitchen, who are pulling crackers, and walk into the living room to see Harry,  Ron, Ginny and Arthur sat on the sofa or an individual chair.

"Dinner's almost ready!" Molly exclaims from the other room, excited looks on everyone faces.