chapter fifteen

"Harry, you told me you'd figured the Egg out weeks ago," Hermione says, a tone of annoyance in her voice, "the task is two from now!" Harry discreetly rolls his eyes and sarcastically fires back with, "Really? I had no idea."

"Hey, don't be like that, Harry," I say, nudging him slightly. "Has Viktor figured it out?" I ask Hermione, who shrugs. "Wouldn't know, we don't actually talk about the Tournament. Actually, we don't really talk at all. Viktor's more of a physical being."

Me and Harry smirk at each other, followed by a chuckle from Hermione after realising what she's said. "I just mean he's not particularly loquacious, mostly he watches me study."

"Isn't that annoying?" I comment, to which Hermione nods her head, a cheeky smile on her face. Then, I turn to look at Harry and ask him if he's actually trying to figure out the Egg clue. "What's that supposed to mean?" He says defiantly, not looking at me. "I'm just saying, these tests are designed to test you in the harshest ways possible, to the point of it being cruel," I reply.

"She worries about you, Harry," Hermione says, which makes him turn around and look me in the eyes. "That's true, I'm scared for you. It was mostly nerve that got you past the dragon, I don't know if that'll be enough for the next task."

He sighs slightly and takes my hands in his gloved ones, holding them together. "I'll be fine." I smile and go to say something, but I hear someone shout "Potter" and for a moment, I think it's Draco until it gets shouted again and I hear the voice. 

"Cedric!" I exclaim, moving away from the side of the bridge and running to my brother, giving him a warm hug. "Hey there rascal," Cedric jokes, a large smile on his face, "how are you doing? Potter?"

Harry forces a smile and says, "Spectacular," kind of sarcastically again, so I give him another subtle nudge. "Look, I realise I never properly thanked you for tipping me off about those dragons," Cedric says, to which Harry replies with, "Forget about it, I'm sure you would've done the same for me," and he goes to walk away, but I grab his arm and pull him back, receiving a little glare from him. 

"Exactly. You know the Prefects bathroom on the fifth floor?" Cedric asks. Harry nods, both of us slightly confused. "It's not a bad place for a bath," he says before starting to walk away. "Just take your egg and... mull things over in the hot water."

He runs off the bridge, leaving me and Harry both very confused. "Huh, well that couldn't be anymore confusing," Harry states, rolling his eyes. I think for a second and then an idea comes into my head. "Maybe it has to be around water for whatever is inside to work?" I suggest.

Harry looks at me and shrugs, a hopeful smile emerging on his face. "Well, I guess I've got nothing better to do. I'll try that tonight." I nod my head and we walk back over to Hermione, who starts talking about how she can't wait to take our O.W.L.s next year, which makes both of us start to laugh.

I look over at Harry as Hermione talks to him and sigh under my breath. 'God, I hope he'll be okay in the next task', I think to myself.

-

"Tell me again, Harry," Hermione asks, pacing up and down, cogs turning in her brain. Harry sighs and recites, "Come seek us where our voices sound."

Harry figured out the tip that Cedric gave him about the Egg and a rhyme was revealed to him, alluding to what the next task may contain. "The Black Lake," I say, reluctantly flicking through pages in my Astronomy book, my least favourite subject of all.

 "An hour long you'll have to look," Harry continues. I see Ron falling asleep in his chair, so I lean forward and nudge him, making him jump back awake. "Again, obvious," Hermione says, "though admittedly potentially problematic."

Harry looks up, an almost distraught look plastered across his face. "Potentially problematic? When was the last time you held your breath underwater for an hour, Hermione?" She sighs and slumps down in a chair, frustrated. 

"Harry, we can do this," I say, rubbing his shoulder supportively, "the four of us can figure this riddle out." Then, out of nowhere, Moody pops out in front of us and says, "Sorry to break up the scholars session. Professor McGonagall would like to see you in her office."

We all stand up, but Moody raises his hand. "Not you Potter, just Granger, Weasley and Diggory." Hermione glares at Moody with confusion. "But Sir, the second task is only hours away and--"

"Exactly," Moody interrupts, "presumably Potter is well prepared by now and could do with a good night's sleep. Go, now!" He shouts, Ron immediately putting down the Egg next to Harry. They start to walk out, but I quickly hug Harry from behind and whisper, "Good luck" into his ear, giving him a kind, supportive smile as I follow Hermione and Ron to McGonagall's office. 

"Wonder what McGonagall wants us for," Ron mumbles aloud as we walk down the corridor that leads to her office. "I don't know, but Moody was quite rude about ushering us out immediately," Hermione responds. I shrug slightly and suggest perhaps he wanted to talk to him about something. 

"I suppose," Ron says and then he stops, looking at me, "I know it's really late now, but I'm sorry about taking Harry with me on Christmas Eve." I smile and dismiss him, saying I've forgotten about that now.

He smiles slightly and I approach the door to McGonagall's office, knocking lightly on the door. "Come in," I hear her say, so I open the door and walk inside, Hermione and Ron close behind me.

I open my mouth to ask why we're here, but a spell hits me and the last thing I remember is hearing Ron and Hermione's voices before I hit the ground, my vision going black.