chapter thirty-six

Me and Harry walk into the Great Hall, Harry holding a large wad of bloody tissues up to his nose. I spot Ron, Hermione, Ginny and Neville sat at the Gryffindor table, so I pull Harry's arm slightly and we sit down with them. "Where have you two been?" Hermione asks, but Harry just waves his spare hand at her, still holding the wad of tissues under his nose.

I reach into my pocket to get him some new ones, "I'll tell you about it later," I say to them all as I hand Harry the new tissues, taking the old ones and just placing them on the empty plate in front of me. "Thanks," he whispers, squeezing my leg slightly as Dumbledore walks up to his golden podium.

"The very best of evenings to you all," he starts, a small smile on his face and his silvery hair and beard almost sparkle slightly in the candlelight, "First off, let me introduce the newest member of our staff: Horace Slughorn."

A man stands up at the staff table as the room applauds, dressed in dark brown and dull red clothes, with a wide brown hat on his balding head. 

"Professor Slughorn, I'm glad to say, has agreed to resume his old post as Potions Master. Meanwhile, the post of Defence Against the Dark Arts will be taken by Professor Snape," Dumbledore explains, more applause following as Snape looks quite satisfied, finally getting to teach his favourite subject. 

"Now as you know, each and every one of you were searched upon your arrival here tonight... and you have the right to know why. Once, there was a young man... who like you, sat in this very Hall, walked this castle's corridors, stepped under its roof. He seemed to all the world a student like any other. His name...  Tom Riddle."

Instantly, various mumbles and whispers are heard from almost every single student. I look at the group, who all have the same worried expression on their face, before looking back to Dumbledore.

"Today, of course, he's known all over the world by another name... which is why, as I stand looking out upon you all tonight, I'm reminded of a sobering fact... every day, every hour, this very minute, dark forces attempt to penetrate this castle's walls. In the end, their greatest weapon is you."

Harry turns around and even though I don't take my eyes off Dumbledore, I can tell that Harry can see the fear in my eyes as he takes my hand in his, holding it tightly. 

"There's something to think about... now, off to bed! Pip pip!"

-

"So Harry and Ron both have a free period now?" Hermione asks as we pull out our Potions books from our bags, my shoulder bag stopping just above my knees. I nod my head as Professor Slughorn starts talking to the class about the various potions in front of everyone. 

"Attention to detail in the preparation is the prerequisite of all planning," Slughorn addresses, explaining how to successfully plan and prepare to mix together a potion, but then I see Harry and Ron walk through the door. 

Slughorn turns around to see them both. "Ah! Harry, my boy. I was beginning to worry. You brought someone with us, I see," he says, looking over at Ron, who introduces himself with a proud smile on his face and starts to make an excuse to leave. That's when I see several Gryffindor students gazing at him dreamily, especially Lavender Brown, who can be slightly irritating - unintentionally - and Hermione doesn't look too pleased.

"Nonsense! We'll sort you out," Slughorn says, making Ron grit his teeth and smile now, "any friend of Harry's is a friend of mine. Get your books out." Harry interjects saying that neither of them actually have their books yet, so Slughorn motions to the nearby wardrobe, which results in them fighting to get the last mint condition copy. 

"Now, as I was saying. I prepared some concoctions this morning. Any ideas what these might be?" He asks and I immediately raise my hand, as does Hermione, but I get chosen to answer. "Yes, Miss..." he starts, unaware of my name. "Diggory, Sir," I reply before walking up to the several small cauldrons at the front of the room. "That one is Veritaserum, a truth telling potion," I start, pointing at each individual cauldron. I describe a few more before stopping at the final one.

"Amortentia, the most powerful love potion in the world," I say, looking back and forth from the potion to Slughorn. "Supposedly, it smells different to each individual, according to what attracts them." He nods and asks me to tell everyone what I smell. I lean forward and focus and what I can smell.

"I smell... cinnamon... treacle tart... and wood," I explain before stepping back into the group and standing by Harry, who has a cheeky smile on his face. "Is that what I smell like then? Wood?" He whispers, making me stifle a laugh. "No it was like a burning smell of wood, like a warm fireplace," I reply as Slughorn places a lid on the Amortentia cauldron, several girls gasping quietly and inching backwards. 

"Sir? You haven't told us what's in that one," a student pipes up, a friendly Gryffindor face but no name comes to mind. Slughorn starts to unscrew a tiny vial filled with a transparent potion. "Ah, yes. What you see before you, ladies and gentlemen... is a curious little potion known as Felix Felicis. It is more commonly referred to as-"

"Liquid Luck," me and Hermione answer simultaneously. "Yes, precisely Miss Diggory and Miss..."

"Granger, Sir."

Slughorn nods, a charmed smile on his face. "Desperately tricky to make, disastrous should you get it wrong. One sip and you will find that all of your endeavours succeed... at least, until the effects wear off," Slughorn describes, many faces, including Harry and Draco's, look up in intrigue. 

"So, this is what I offer each of you today. One tiny vial of Liquid Luck to the student who in the hour that remains, manages to brew an acceptable Draught of Living Death. Recipes for which can be found on page ten of your books. I should point out, however, only one student who manages to brew a potion of sufficient quality to claim this prize. Nevertheless, good luck to you all. Let the brewing commence!"