chapter forty-one

A few days have passed and now, it's about an hour before Ron's first official Quidditch game. Everyone is sat in the Great Hall for breakfast, a substantial amount of snow falling from the clouds outside. Harry and Ginny are wearing their Quidditch uniforms - like the rest of the Gryffindor team - ready for the match, almost every other Gryffindor student have face paint on and they're ready to support their team.

"Ron must be so nervous," I say after I swallow spoonful of cereal. "Well, maybe don't say anything to him, as there he is," Ginny replies, pointing towards the Great Hall entrance.

We all look over to see Ron standing in the doorway, dressed in his uniform with his safety cap fastened on his head, a very nervous look in his eyes. I see Neville and Seamus wish Ron good luck as he walks down, but Slytherin students mocking him under their breath isn't helping.

He sits down next to me and opposite Harry, Hermione and Ginny, not a single word leaving his mouth as he stares at his plate. "Slughorn's having a Christmas-do, you know," Hermione starts, her eyes reading her Daily Prophet copy, "and we're meant to bring someone."

"I expect you'll be bringing McLaggen? He's in the Slug Club, isn't he?" Ron asks, annoyance in his voice. My fist clenches slightly on the table, but no one notices apart from Harry, who I told the details of that night once Hermione, Ron and Ginny had gone to bed.

"Actually, I was going to ask you," Hermione replies, slightly disheartened. Then, Lavender Brown saunters over to Ron, a giddy smile on her face. "Good luck today, Ron," she says, "I know you'll be brilliant." 

"I'm resigning," Ron says, nervousness growing in his voice, "after today's match... McLaggen can have my spot." Harry shrugs, saying that's his choice before pushing a small cup of juice towards Ron. He picks it up and goes to take a sip, but then Luna sits down next to me, greeting everyone with a hello. She has a large lion headpiece, feathery ribbon pieces creating a large mane. 

"You look dreadful, Ron. Is that why you put something in his cup? Is it a tonic?"

We all look at the cup and then, I see Harry stuff the vial of Felix Felicis into his pocket. "Liquid Luck," I utter in disbelief, looking at Harry, who is trying to contain his smile. "Don't drink it, Ron!" Hermione exclaims, but Ron lifts the cup to his lips and takes a good swig, Harry now fully smirking. 

"You could be expelled for that!" Hermione snaps at Harry, who just shrugs and says that he doesn't know what she's talking about. I watch Ron and see a confident smile grow on his face, which makes me smile despite the reasoning for it isn't the best thing in the world.

"Come on Harry, we've got a game to win!" He exclaims, quickly getting out of his seat and shaking hands with Harry, who's confidently smiling now too. They walk out of the Great Hall, leaving Ginny and Hermione fairly perplexed. 

About half an hour later, me, Hermione, Luna and Neville are standing in the Quidditch stands watching the game and applauding loudly for Ron, who is the most confident I've ever seen him. He consistently keeps saving attempted goals and the smile on his face cannot be deterred by anything. 

The Slytherin team keep trying to score goals but they keep on failing due to Ron's unstoppable luck. The crowd starts to cheer for him and soon enough, a celebratory party is being held in the Gryffindor Common Room for Ron's extremely triumphant first match.

"WEASLEY! WEASLEY! WEASLEY!"

Confetti is summoned by someone's wand and a large banner is being held up with the Gryffindor colours across it. Ron looks really satisfied and proud of himself, his eyes glancing over the crowd of students that surround him. 

"You know you shouldn't have done it," Hermione says, a small smile on her face that contrasts massively to mine and especially Harry's. "I know. I suppose I could have just used a Confundus charm," he replies as he glances at Hermione, who blanks for a second. "That was different... that was tryouts, this was an actual game."

Then, Harry pulls out the vial of Liquid Luck, which is... still completely full.

"You tricked him," I say, taking the vial from him and looking at it, the smile on my face growing. "You made him think you put it in, but you didn't." Harry nods and takes the vial back, quickly flashing Hermione a cheeky smirk. 

We all smile and look back at Ron, but when Lavender pulls him and kisses him, my heart sinks for Hermione and when I turn around, I see her entire face fall and she quickly leaves the Common Room, tears in her eyes.

"Oh no," I mumble, grabbing Harry's arm from behind me. "What ha- oh no," he replies, his voice dropping. We look at each other, then at Ron and Lavender - who are still kissing - then we both make our way out of the Common Room and after Hermione.

We wander around the castle for a few minutes before I spot her. "Harry," I whisper, pointing down the corridor at a small stairwell. Harry turns around and when his eyes spot her, we exchange a sad look.

We make our way over and that's when we spot the small group of birds flying around, tweeting happily. She turns around sharply when she hears us, but her body relaxes upon seeing our faces. I sit down beside her, grab her hand gently and look up at the birds.

"They're beautiful," I whisper as Harry sits on the opposite side of Hermione. "Charm spell," she replies, her voice cracking as she cries, "just practicing." Harry then takes Hermione's other hand, complimenting her skills with the birds. 

Then, laughter creeps in from around the corner and Ron runs in front of us, Lavender giggling by his side.