chapter forty-seven

Madam Pomfrey takes a sleeping Ron's temperature from his forehead as the doors to the Medical Wing open. I turn around to see Professors Dumbledore, McGonagall, Snape and Slughorn - who's holding the bottle of mead - walk in. I'm stood next to Harry, holding his hand, whilst Ginny and Hermione are sat by Ron's side. 

"Quick thinking on your part, Harry, using a bezoar. You must be very proud of your student, Horace," Professor Dumbledore says in a very calm voice, which helps me relax slightly at his sense of ease. "I think we all agree, Potter's actions were heroic," Professor McGonagall adds, "the question is why were they necessary?"

"Aye, indeed. This appears to be a gift, Horace, you don't remember who gave you this bottle?" Professor Dumbledore asks as he takes the bottle from Professor Slughorn, who shakes his head. "By the way, it possesses remarkably subtle hints of licorice and cherry were not polluted with poison."

Professor Snape takes the bottle from Professor Dumbledore and takes a sniff of the contents, just as Professor Slughorn adds that he was intending to re-gift it. "To whom, may I ask?"

"You, Headmaster."

Everyone looks around in astonishment and I can't help but roll my eyes when I hear Lavender's sickly sweet voice break the silence. She runs into the room, in distress.

"Where is he? Where is me Won-Won? Has he been asking for me?" She gushes aloud as she pushes to the front of everyone, her tone switching upon the sight of Hermione, who is sat next to Ron and holding his hand. Then she looks at me and also shows some disgust.

"What are these two doing here?" She sneers. "I might ask you the same question!" Hermione replies. Lavender snaps about how she's Ron's girlfriend in a very jealous tone, which makes me scoff slightly. 

"We're his best friends and have known him for years," I add, folding my arms and glaring at Lavender. "Don't make me laugh," Lavender starts, now only looking at Hermione, "you haven't spoken in weeks. I suppose you want to make up with him now that he's all interesting!"

"He's been poisoned, you daft dimbo!" I shout as Harry pulls me back a little, an indication that I need to relax. "For the record, I've always found him interesting," Hermione says defensively. 

Then, Ron starts to stir in his sleep.

"Ah! See? He senses my presence," Lavender exclaims, leaning over the bed and taking Ron's hand in hers. "Don't worry, Won-Won, I'm here. I'm here!"

Ron starts to mumble some things that no one can make out, but then he mutters Hermione's name a few times, making everyone's eyes widen and Lavender runs out of the room, crying loudly. 

"Oh to be young," Professor Dumbledore starts, looking at everyone, "and to feel love's keen sting. Come on everybody, Mr Weasley is well tended."

Everyone starts to leave and I look at Harry, his eyes holding a sense of peace. "He's going to be okay, you saved him, Harry." He smiles and presses a gentle kiss to my forehead. We say goodbye to Hermione and leave her with Ron, a warm smile on her face.

-

"Ron, you're making it snow," I say, motioning to the small snowflakes falling from the air. Ron apologises and puts his wand down, his eyes focused on Lavender, who's sat behind us.

Ron practically healed overnight, thanks to Madam Pomfrey, and is now able to return back to school again. The four of us are sat down for lunch in the Great Hall, a general bustle of chatter filling the room. 

"Tell me how I broke up with Lavender again," he asks, making me chuckle a little. Ever since we told him he practically dumped Lavender, he's been really confused and hazy about how.

"Um, well... she came to visit you in the hospital," Hermione says, describing the events of yesterday, "and you... talked. I... don't believe it was a particularly long conversation." Ron sighs and looks back from Hermione to Lavender. 

Ron states that Lavender looks quite out of it, even though he's thrilled to be rid of her finally, which makes us all turn around to look at her and true to his word, she seems quite... put-out. 

"She does, doesn't she?" I say, quickly looking back at the group, "so you don't remember anything, Ron, from that night?" He shakes his head. "Anything at all?" Hermione adds, which results in another head shake.

We all smile sadly and go back to what we were doing, but that's when I see Katie Bell walk past. "Harry, it's Katie," I whisper, nudging him slightly. When he looks up and sees her, he hurriedly gets out of his seat and walks over to the girl.

"I'm glad she's feeling better now," I think aloud, remembering back to when she was originally cursed. "Aurora," Ron whispers, making my eyes dart up to his, which are facing the Great Hall's entrance. I follow his eye line to see Draco run out of the Hall.

"Try and keep Harry here as much as possible," I whisper back before I practically jump up and follow Draco. I chase after him and eventually, I see him enter a bathroom as I turn down a hallway.

I shouldn't go in, but something compels me and I enter anyway. I walk in quietly and I see Draco... crying over a sink.

"Draco?" He quickly twists around, his body language sharp and alert, but he physically relaxes when he sees it's me. "Aurora?" He asks, his breathing shaky. I nod my head and I walk up to him, taking in his distraught self. He opens his mouth multiple times to try and say something, but nothing comes out.

"Shh, it's okay," I whisper, taking his hand and holding it supportively. He looks at me for a split second before he starts crying again, burying his face in my shoulder. "It's okay," I repeat, stroking his back and trying to give him any sense of support. When he looks up at me, I hold his hand tightly and give him a kind, friendly smile, which he just manages to return.

"You know what you did, Malfoy!" We turn around to see Harry staring at us both, anger in his eyes.