chapter forty-five

"Aurora?"

I turn around as Harry sits down next to me, a happy smile on his face. "Hey," I reply as I scoot closer to his body and I lean my head on his shoulder. His arm wraps around my shoulder, holding me close. 

Dinner was amazing and everyone had a lot of fun opening presents, which lasted about fifteen minutes because of Ron and the twin's eagerness. Now, I'm sat on the winding staircase, looking out the window across the stretch of field surrounding the Burrow.

"Have you had a good Christmas?" He asks and I nod my head. "It's been lovely, especially as Remus and Tonks spent it with us as well. I've missed the twins a lot too, so it was great to see them again. How about you?"

I look up at him to see him smiling still. "It's been wonderful, I love spending time here instead of with the Dursley's," he replies before pressing a kiss to my forehead. Then, he pulls a small wrapped box out of his pocket, so I sit back up again and turn around to look at him.

"This is for you," he says as he presses the box into my hands, "I know I already got you those books you wanted, but I've wanted to give you this for a while." I jokingly pout as I open the wrapping to find a small, light grey box. I open it and my eyes widen at the sight of a beautiful ring. 

"Oh my gosh," I gush, my fingers lightly tracing the white flower and crystal leaves, "Harry, it's beautiful

"Oh my gosh," I gush, my fingers lightly tracing the white flower and crystal leaves, "Harry, it's beautiful." I look up at him, my mouth now wide open too. He chuckles and blushes slightly, before he takes the box and pulls out the ring.

"This is a promise ring," he explains, "I bought it for you as a promise from me. A promise that I'll also protect you, love you and be there for you." I feel my cheeks start to turn pink as he slides the ring on my right middle finger. Once it's on, I lean forward and kiss him, my hands on his cheeks and his run through my hair.

We part and we both smile at each other. "I love you, Harry," I whisper, my hands still on his cheeks. "I love you too, Aurora."

I go to open my mouth to say something, but stop and quickly turn to the window, something bright catching my eye. Harry turns around to and asks what it is. I squint my eyes and as the bright thing grows closer, I realise what it is. 

"FIRE!"

The ball of fire crashes into the field and the long strands of dry grass burst into flames, the fire spreading rapidly. Me and Harry immediately stand up and go to run outside, but his hand grabs my arm and stops me.

"Look, Death Eaters," he gasps, pointing at incoming streams of black smoke. One crashes in the middle of the burning field and Bellatrix is revealed, her wild black hair not able to disguise her disgusting smile.

Harry immediately sprints down the stairs, his hand gripping his wand tightly. "Harry, wait!" I shout, running after him. I see him run out of the door and towards the fire, Remus and Tonks try to grab him but once he's in the middle of the fire, flames block them both from running after him. 

I push past Molly and Arthur, despite Molly yelling my name, and sprint after Harry. The flames part for a brief second and I take that moment to jump through them, just before they close again. I look around wildly, but Harry is nowhere to be seen. The distant shouts from Bellatrix, taunting him about Sirius, can be heard from all around though.

As I run through the reeds and grass, a spell just misses my shoulder and flies past me. I swiftly turn around and I'm greeted with the face of Fenrir Greyback, another Death Eater. He raises his wand to fire a spell, but I quickly shout, "Stupefy!" 

He blocks it and starts to walk closer to me when Harry fires a spell back at him from behind me. Blocking it, Greyback disapparates and it sounds like him and Bellatrix start circling around us, hidden in the reeds.

Me and Harry keep our wands raised, our heads shifting back and forth whenever the reeds swish and sway. In the distance, we hear someone yell Harry's name, then several jinxes are shot at us both.

We both block them and start to fight back, shooting defensive spells anywhere that an attacking spell is shot at us. 

"Harry! Aurora!"

Out of the reeds, Remus, Tonks and Arthur all sprint over to us and raise their wands high, ready to defend us and themselves. Outnumbered, Bellatrix and Greyback turn into their smoke forms and fly back up in the air, but when we think they're just retreating, they both fly into the Burrow.

Setting it on fire.

"Molly!" Arthur exclaims, pushing past us all and rushing back towards the house. "Ron! Ginny! The twins!" I exclaim in horror, grabbing Harry's hand as I sprint towards the house, running as fast as my legs will carry me. We reach the burning house and I see Molly collapse to her knees, her sobs breaking my heart in two.

"No..." I whisper, tears trickling down my face. The presents, the food, the memories the house holds. All of it... gone.

I glance over at Fred and George, who are trying not to cry. Ginny is being embraced by Ron, who is stroking her hair and whispering things to her. I clench Harry's hand and my other hand grabs his arm, I nestle my face into his neck and silently cry. 

He strokes my back and runs his hand gently through my hair. "It's all gone," I cry, holding onto Harry tightly, "all the memories... all the presents everyone got... it's all gone."