chapter forty-eight

"You hexed her, didn't you?" Harry snaps, his Potions book and wand in his hands. "Harry, please, don't do this," I say, standing in front of Draco, "he's not doing this by choice!" 

I see Harry start to slowly raise his wand, but Draco moves me aside and sends a spell at Harry, which he dodges and it crashes into the wall. Harry shoots one back and it hits a pipe, bursting it and water starts to gush over the floor.

They continue to fire spells at each other, despite me shouting at them both to stop, spells being shot around walls and underneath the toilet stalls. 

"Draco, please stop!" I exclaim as I go to look around a corner, "I'll tell Harry to stop too." I peer around the corner and go to walk around, but Harry jumps around from the opposite corner and fires a spell that I haven't heard since he asked me and Hermione about it in the Common Room.

"Sectumsempra!"

The spell hits me right in the chest and it knocks me backwards. I stagger backwards for a moment before collapsing to the waterlogged floor. A sharp, stinging pain starts to grow and when I look down, I see several lacerations start to grow across my chest and blood starts to gush out of my body. My hands start to grab and clutch at my clothes as choked cries leave my mouth, tears falling down the sides of my face. The pain grows more and I hear water splashing around beside me, but the intenseness of the pain drowns out my hearing, so the only other thing I can hear is muffled speaking.

I distantly hear more footsteps and the last thing I see through my watery eyes before blacking out are the faces of Draco and Professor Snape.

-

My eyes slowly flutter open and after they're practically blinded by the ceiling lights, I realise that I'm in the Hospital Wing. I feel my chest covered in tight, restricting bandages, which constricts my breathing ever so slightly.

"You're awake."

I turn my head to see that Draco is sat next to me, a relieved look on his face. His eyes look heavy and tired, his hair quite messy, but he gives me a small smile. 

"Draco?" I whisper, my eyes blinking tiredly at him. He slowly nods his head and leans down, reaching for my hand and taking it in his. "What... happened?" I ask, my memory slightly foggy. "Me and Potter were fighting in the bathroom. You were going to get us both to stop when Potter fired a spell at you, thinking it was me."

I sigh before giving Draco a sad smile. "Why must you two fight all the time?" I ask, my normal voice raspy and quiet. "I know you don't really hate him."

His eyes look down at the floor, his breath hitches slightly. "It's not that simple anymore, Aurora." I go to ask him why it's not, but he answers me as he pulls up his right arm jumper sleeve to reveal... a Dark Mark. I raise my hand to run my fingers over the Mark, but Draco flinches away.

"It's okay, I'm not scared of you, Draco."

He looks up at me and gives me another small smile, before he raises his arm and lets me touch the Mark etched in his skin. My fingers carefully trace every inch of the tattoo, occasionally looking up to see his downcast eyes. 

I place my hand back down on my bed and as he rolls his sleeve back down, I realise what he's wearing.

"You're wearing the jumper I sent you for Christmas," I exclaim, happiness in my voice. He smirks and nods, running his hands down his front. "I am and I never thanked you for the presents, they did bring some joy over Christmas."

He then pulls something out from under the jumper and reveals the necklace charm I gave him too. "I've been wearing this since Christmas as well, which reminds me..."

Then, he turns to the bedside table and when I turn to look, I see him patting a wrapped up present. "I never sent this over to you, but this is your belated Christmas present." I smile and reach for his hand, patting it. 

"Thank you, Draco and listen to me. No matter what that 'family' of yours tell you to do, you do have a choice, okay?"

He goes to comment, but instead, he shakes his head and then... gives me a full, genuine smile. "Thanks, Aurora." He presses a light kiss to my hand before he makes his way out of the Hospital Wing, waving me goodbye as he leaves, the doors closing behind him.

I sigh and just manage to sit myself up, just as the doors swing open again to reveal Ron and Hermione, who rush over immediately and both practically jump on me with a hug.

"Ouch, guys," I say, letting out a breathless chuckle, "I can't breathe." They apologise and then they sit down on either side of me. 

"How are you feeling?" Hermione asks. "Fine, just quite achy as these bandages are really tight." I see Madam Pomfrey walk over, so we all look at her to see what she's got to say.

"You should be able to leave the wing in the morning, we just want to keep you overnight again," she explains, which makes me gasp slightly. "Have I been asleep for a whole day?" I ask and when she nods, I feel fairly flabbergasted. 

"Well, we just came by quickly to see if you were doing okay," Ron says as he places a small bag on the bedside table, "and these are some leftover sweets I had from Fred and George's shop." I thank them both and wave goodbye to them as they leave.

I take a fudge from the bag of sweets and when my eyes fall on the present from Draco, I feel the corners of my mouth turn into a smile as I grab it and start to unwrap it. There's a small box inside and when I open it, a folded up note falls out and reveals a rose charm on a gold necklace chain.

I smile as I unfold the note to read Draco's neat, slightly cursive handwriting: 'Aurora, I saw this in a jewellery shop and it reminded me of the flowery dress you wore at the Yule Ball

I smile as I unfold the note to read Draco's neat, slightly cursive handwriting: 'Aurora, I saw this in a jewellery shop and it reminded me of the flowery dress you wore at the Yule Ball. I hope you like it. Draco.'