intro

It was typical for it to rain in Chicago during October. The month consisted of stubborn clouds and drizzle while the weather shifted to colder temperatures.

But raging thunderstorms wasn't typical.

Carlisle wasn't sure he had ever been in the type of thunderstorm he was in now. The rain was pounding heavily against his office's glass windows, it had come almost violently. A few moments ago there was yet another cackle of lightning, Carlisle heard a nurse mumble, "Zeus must be extremely angry." He grinned. He wasn't one for religion and all the concepts that came with it, not like Edward, but he wouldn't be surprised if there was a God out there .. or Gods. His whole existence was a myth and yet there he was. A vampire doctor, ha.

The news was on the TV screen in front of him, a male reporter stood outside in the heavy rain with a large tree laid behind him. It had been completely uprooted and managed to abolish a nearby home. The female reporter next to him proceeded to explain the intense flooding the city was undergoing. Carlisle was yet again certain he had never been in a storm this disastrous.

He was supposed to be home hours ago but that was when the storm had turned for the worst. Today was his final day at the hospital of St. Bernard. The people were cautious of his never-aging beauty, the whole dermatology department was on his back, it was time for both himself and his family to start new. Esme had Alaska in mind, there was a house she was already designing renovations for. She'd make a home out of anything and oh how Carlisle loved that about her.

"Dr. Cullen?" Carlisle looked up away from the television to a nurse who was in the doorway dressed in odd purple scrubs. The nurses at this hospital tended to wear red or blue colors, he'd never seen purple before. "Yes?" "Sorry to intrude but there's been an emergency and everyone is backed up, there have been several power outages, do you think you can assist me?" Carlisle had learned long ago that when there was an emergency you didn't take the time to ask questions, instead you tried to get information as you ran. "Lead the way."

The nurse moved quick, slipping in between nurses and doctors hurrying around, patients being transferred from floor to floor. There many doctors running around with blood bags and whatnot. Everyone was indeed backed up.

As Carlisle followed the mysterious nurse he realized they were heading towards the pediatric floor, his guard going up higher. Pediatrics weren't his specialty and if the nurse knew his name, she would have to know what field he specialized in.

Despite the absolute chaos happening on every other floor, the pediatrics wing seemed to be rather peaceful. An eerie sort of peace like the eye of the hurricane.

They kept walking until the nurse took Carlisle into a delivery room that was the last one in the hallway they were in. Before he could voice his confusion on why he was even in the pediatrics wing the smell of blood wrapped around him. Carlisle's eyes naturally went to where the source of the blood was.

In that moment, Carlisle began to grasp what this emergency was.

Laying in the soft sheets of a delivery bed was a young lady whose heartbeat Carlisle could barely hear. The vibrant color of the blood all over the sheets made the color of the woman's skin look deathly pale, her blonde hair drained of color, it looked almost gray. There were layers of sweat on her forehead, her face moved to the side slowly as she faded in out of consciousness.

"She is carrying one of your kind, she's human." Carlisle's eyes went to the nurse and he stayed silent for a moment. "My kind?" "I know what you are, cold one. I don't come to bring you any harm and I know you don't intend to harm me either. I've heard all about the lifestyle you and your family chose to live."