iv.

"KAGEYAMA!"

Shoyo Hinata's shrill and excitable voice calls out to his friend, waving a hand in front of his face. "Ka-ge-ya-ma!" The ginger exclaims once more, annunciating the syllables.

"What do you want, dumbass?" The obsidian-haired boy seethes, icy hues glaring at the ecstatic redhead.

Kageyama was in nothing less than an irritable mood. Ever since his last encounter with Sakura, he had been so. For some reason, he couldn't get brunette out of his head, this made him angry beyond words. It seemed as though every time he shut his eyes, an image of her sweet smile and soft chocolate orbs appeared behind his eyelids.

"Nonsense." She insists, frantically looking around to see if there is any way she could help him. "Ah!" She exclaims, pointing to his bag. "Let me carry your bag! It's the least I can do."

Why wasn't she deterred by him, or even a little off-put by his intimidating presence in the slightest?

When she smiled at him it was genuine, when she looked at him her dark hues sparkled with kindness, when she talked to him she showed no sign of holding-back or anything of the sort. When he made an awkward comment, or said something abrupt that could be mistaken as rude, she never faltered.

Why? Goddamnit, why?

"You just seem really spacey lately! Even at practice you seemed a little off." The brown-eyed boy claims, stuffing a meat-bun in his mouth until his cheeks are puffed.

Kageyama shakes his head, rolling his eyes. "You're such an idiot! I've been playing fine!" He grumbles, nudging his short friend ever so slightly. "You're being stupid...!"

With a huff escaping his lips, he props his hands up on the table and rests his chin in his palm.

The ginger shrugs, stuffing rice in his already full mouth. "Wha-ever you say, Ka-yay-awa"

He tilts his head, memories traveling back to when he bought her that green tea from the vending machine..

Kageyama sighs. "Uh, that came out wrong. I meant that you kinda payed me all these favors for a minor accident so the least I can do for you is, well-" He clears his throat, turning to face the vending machine. "want something from the vending machine...?" He mumbles, looking at the ground.

The brunette smiles, nodding her head softly. "Sure!"

Perhaps there's a faint trace of a genuine smile on the boy's lips, but it quickly disappears as he grows irritated.

Why is he so enamored by her? Could it be her oddities? He assumes it's the fact that he's never met anyone like her, had an experience with someone like her. Tobio's never had someone act so... warmly to him, and it made him curious.

A small part of him hopes that one day, some time, they'll have another encounter, another chance to run into each other, another chance to talk.

She was an oddity, that's for sure, but an interesting one at that.

a/n
this is super short, but i suck at writing filler chapters so here's this heaping pile of dog shit 😼✨