xxvii.

AND SO COMES THE MUCH AWAITED DAY OF THE ANNUAL SPRING FESTIVAL.

Sakura had managed to convince some of the volleyball team to come to the spring festival with her, though some of them couldn't make it. She's happy, though, that a good majority of the team can come.

The brunette sits on a stool in front of the mirror, watching Yachi fasten the silk band around her torso into a bow in the back. The blonde then moves to her hair, undoing the two pastel blue ribbons that reside on either side of her head. Taking back two strands of long, chocolate hair, she fastens a cream colored pin in the back of her head, leaving a few strands to frame her face. Smiling, the latter turns to her shorter friend with a smile. "Oh thank you Yachi!" She exclaims, hugging her tightly.

The brunette glances at the clock on the wall, reading it as 7:04. "We should get going. I told the boys we'd meet them there at seven thirty." Sakura informs, grabbing her wallet and bounding down the stairs. "Bye dad!" She exclaims, running up to him and planting a kiss on his stubbled cheek.

"Bye honey, have fun." The man says, patting his daughter's back as she and her friend run out the door.

It's a beautiful evening, as it's a nice 75 degrees out, and the sun slowly sinks below the horizon. The fragrance of cherry blossoms hang in the air, and the petals dance through the breeze. Truly a perfect day for the festival.

*✿❀ ❀✿*

The two girls arrive at the festival gates in a timely manner, and immediately spot a group of 9 boys: Kageyama, Hinata, Nishinoya, Tanaka, Suga, Daichi, along with Tsukishima and Yamaguchi. Kyoko is there as well, currently trying to tame the Nishinoya and Tanaka at the sight of the ravenette in a yukata. Yachi hides behind Sakura, her fist clenched around the silky fabric of her yukata as the two approach the boys. "Hey guys!" Sakura shouts, waving them down.

Kageyama looks in her direction, his breath nearly taken out of his lungs at the sight of her. Her long, mahogany tresses flutter in the wind, along with her scarlet yukata, that has cream accents that compliment her skin tone. A rosy hue decorates the apples of her cheeks, and the last rays of the golden dip her visage in a sparkling sheen. He thought she couldn't get any prettier but... wow.

A smile is worn on her face, as she greets the team. "This is my friend Yachi." She ushers her shy friend out from behind her.

The poor girl is shaking in her sandals, and looks at the ground. "N-nice to meet you...!" She exclaims, bowing deeply at the group.

The all exclaim their greetings with and welcome her warmly, causing Yachi's nerves to settle a little. Hinata seems to take an immediate liking to her, and starts to talk to her vivaciously. A grin on her lips, Sakura turns to Kageyama. "Ah, Kageyama. I'm so glad you could come!" She cheers, slapping him roughly on the back.

He smirks, glancing away from the pretty girl that looks up at him. "Yeah, yeah." He grumbles, adjusting his dark blue yukata.

"I like your Yukata. I-it brings out your eyes!" She comments. Only truth tumbles from her mouth, as she can't help but notice how undeniably attractive he looks in the color.

The boy blushes, looking anywhere but her face. "Th-thanks... You look nuff...niff... nice too."

A small laugh bubbles in her throat. "Let's go!" She tells the team. "There's much to do!" She glances back at Yachi, making sure her shyer friend is okay. It appears that she is, as Hinata seems to be keeping her good company. They appear to all be in separate groups, Hinata and Yachi, Tadashi and Tsukishima, Nishinoya, Tanaka and Kyoko, and then Suga and Daichi.

Tobio and Sakura walk ahead of the group, looking around at the festival grounds. Sakura's earthy hues look for the shaved ice stand, as that's her go-to food for any celebration. Finally, her eyes land on one and she grasps Kageyama's hand, yanking him over to the stand. "Shaved ice!" She exclaims to him as they swerve through the crowd of people. An overwhelming feeling of happiness washes over the charcoal-haired boy, a feeling of care-freeness as she holds his hand. The girl momentarily looks back at him, a bright smile on her face. Though, this one is different from the others, somehow. Perhaps it's how the smile is so big that her eyes are almost squinted shut, or how the rosy apples of her cheeks become prominent, or how the delightful bouts of laughter escape her coral lips.

The two stumble upon the stand, to see a petite old woman working there. "Hi, can I get a medium tigers blood, and...?" She asks, looking back at Kageyama, silently asking him what he wants.

"Uhm... blueberry. Medium, please." He says, noticing that his hand is still in Sakura's. Their fingers are intertwined as the brunette orders the food.

Noticing Kageyama's gaze on her hand, she looks down and blush furiously. "S-sorry...!" She whispers, slowly untwining her hand from his, the remains of her warmth leaving his palm.

"You two make such a cute couple...!" The woman says as she places the two cold treats on the counter.

Sakura only smiles as her blush deepens. "Thank you, ma'am." The two turn around and blend back in with the crowd. Tobio takes note of how the warm string lights that hang above douse her in their amber glow. "S-sorry for not saying that we're not a couple. I just didn't want to make it awkward."

His face reddens as he takes a bite of his cold treat. "I-I don't mind... wait- I..." He mumbles, his blush turning a deeper color of crimson. "It's... it's fine."

The brunette laughs, nudging the boy a little. "C'mon, let's look at the other attractions!"

a/n

this spring festival plot is probably going to go on for maybe... another chapter or two because my goal is to have thirty chapters even. also, this is chapter 27!!