xvii.

SAKURA ITO CAN SAFELY SAY SHE'S SEEN TOBIO KAGEYAMA ANGRY BEGORE.

But nothing like this. Sure, here and there he would give Hinata a smack on the head, call him a dumbass or occasionally get a little pissed at the ginger.

But nothing like this . . .

Hinata had tried to do their usual quick attack, with his eyes open. Evidently, he had missed it, causing them to lose the set, also resulting in their fight. The ball had been propelled up into the air by Kageyama, yet another perfect set on his part. Though, Hinata had obviously taken note that something had to change in order for them to win, so he had opened his eyes in order to give the ball a trajectory.

He had missed it completely, and both Hinata and Kageyama had gotten into a rather heated yelling match in the midst of it. Now, Kageyama hasn't spoken to Hinata ever since their fight ended, and has only been shooting him harrowing glances.

Sakura wonders how they were possibly going to win the next game with their power duo at odds. Of course, there are the reliable third years who always pull through, but that quick attack was their secret weapon, and if they were doing bad before... she shudders to think of the games ahead.

Frowning, she wraps her cardigan tightly around her body, trying to keep out the cold from seeping into her skin. Despite how hot is was during the day, after the sun set, the temperature always dropped several degrees. She walks out the doors of the gym, looking around at the other gyms that surround the permitter, the faint sound of squeaking sneakers and shouts sing through the still air, as a breeze rushes through Sakura's brunette locks.

Glancing over, she spots Tobio on the all too familiar hill, laying on the grass and looking up at the stars. A faint trace of a smile dances across her cold lips as she slowly and quietly approaches him, laying down beside him. Kageyama hardly seems to notice her presence before she begins to speak. "Pretty, right?" She murmurs, her voice uncharacteristically tranquil.

Kageyama flinches a little, turning towards the girl that lays beside him, looking as the stars reflect in her dark orbs like that of a lake under the night sky. Sequin-silver stars like the scattered embers of a dying fire twinkle across the infinite black canvas, illuminating the atramentous curtain of sky. "Mhmm." He murmurs, watching as the girl smiles, the wind blow her hair into a tousled mane.

Sakura feels the damp grass beneath her fingers, sighing happily. "So... You and Hinata..."

Tobio groans, placing the back of his hand over his forehead as he stares back up to stars that twinkle above. "Whatever..."

"Listen," She starts, turning to look at Kageyama, looking at his once luminous and crystalline sapphire hues turn into a murky blue, like that of a Moné painting. He turns to her, his heart beating faster than before, and butterflies fluttering in his stomach as he studies her face under the pale light of the moon; it's pale glow illuminating her soft features, nearly making her look ethereal. "Why are you letting this come between you? He just wanted to try something n-"

"What?" He scoffs, shaking his head. "Are you defending him or something?"

She furrows her brows and stays silent for awhile, as guilt builds inside of Kageyama's stomach. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't pry." She whispers, a frown tugging at the side of her lips as she begins to stand up.

Impulsively, he grabs her healthy hand. She stops in her tracks, staring down at him with her eyes slightly wide.

Why am I being such a jerk? Even after I sprained her elbow... shit...!

"No, I, uh, I'm sorry. I didn't let you finish." He mutters, hoping that she can't see his blush under the dimly light sky.

The brunette smiles softly, shaking her head in reassurance, as she lays back down on the grass. Turning to him once more, she slips his hand through his and squeezes it, her heart beating faster at the warm contact. "Tobio, just try to make up with him... and if you can't do that, practice separately. Maybe some distance will do you two some good, yeah?" She removes his hand from his, the cold hitting their palms once more in sudden contrast to the previous warmth.

Kageyama wishes more than anything that he had a glass of cold water to splash on his face, the way it's heating up right now. Hastily, he takes a deep breath to try and slow his palpitating heart.

She held my hand...

He thinks to himself, side glancing at her pretty face that lays across from his, which causes his inferno of a face to flame up even more. "Y-Y-Yeah... th-thanks." He mutters.

A small and airy giggle escapes her lips, as she scoots closer to nudge Kageyama playfully. "The team needs you guys... The dynamic duo!" She exclaims, raising her fist into the air.

A smile breaks out onto the black-haired boys lips, as he looks so fondly at the girl who lays next to him. "Dynamic duo..." He scoffs, shaking his head.

"Yeah! Dynamic duo. The way you go fwoom and then Hinata goes swoosh and then the ball goes bam!" She says excitedly, making various animated motions with her slinged arm and hand. "It's amazing... You're amazing, you know that?" She asks, poking his shoulder a little with her index finger.

God, just when he thought his face couldn't get any more red.

"Th-thanks." He stutters out awkwardly. "You too."

She lets out another one of her rambunctious laughs, one filled with snorts and wheezes that always gets Kageyama laughing too.

"Pfffttt...!" Tobio spits out, rolling over to his side at the sound of her unique laughter.

"H...hey...! Wha.... what's so fu...funny?!" She asks, punching his arm weakly as she tries to contain her bouts of laughter. Holding her stomach, she tumbles down the hill as several screams and squeals erupt from her mouth as she rolls down with reckless abandon.

Following in pursuit, Kageyama rolls down the hill, for once in his life showing his true colors and embracing the euphoric feeling that blossoms in his heart. He reaches the bottom of the hill, ribs hurting from laughing as he watches Sakura hold her stomach too, her free hand over her mouth to contain her laughter.

"I-I-Idiot!" He spurts out between giggles.

"I'm not... no... not the idiot...! Yo...you're the one who purposely ro....rolled down the hill...!" Sakura yelps.

Before Kageyama can respond, Tsukishima walks out of one of the gyms, glaring at the two teenagers who writhe on the ground with laughter. "Pack it up love birds, it's time to go to bed." He scolds, rolling his eyes as she pushes his glasses up his nose.

As soon as Tsukishima walks off, the two look at each other and immediately start laughing again.