1 - Off The Grid

Peter's P.O.V

I walked into school, trying my best to avoid people's attention, but that didn't stop their whispers.
"Hey Peter." MJ smiled, grabbing my hand.
"Oh, MJ, hi." I hadn't even seen her come up to me I was too distracted.
"... How are you doing?"
"Well everyone knows I'm Spider-Man now, and they all think I killed Beck, so not great."
"But you didn't, and that's what's important."
"No, you don't understand MJ. Mr Stark trusted me to take on his legacy, and be the next Iron Man, but how can I do that when everyone thinks I'm one of the bad guys?"
"I don't know. But I'm sure you'll figure it out."
I saw a figure hobbling towards us down the road.
"Hey, Peter, I have something I need to tell you - "
"Yeah, sorry, later, ok?" I ran up to the limping Ned, bruises covering his body.
"Ned, are you okay, what happened?"
"It-it's nothing."
"Ned - "
He sighed "3 guys jumped me, told me... That it was a message to Spider-Man."
I clenched my fists "They did what?"
"But I'm fine, Peter, really."
"No, you're not..." I looked between MJ and Ned, and a realisation dawned on me "None of you are. Not as long as I'm around."
"Peter - "
I started backing away "I - I've gotta go."
"Peter!" MJ called after me, but I was soon swinging high up on the rooftops where she couldn't follow me. I now realised what I should have done the second that false footage came out. None of them would be safe as long as they associated with me; not Happy, not Ned, not MJ, and not Aunt May. The only way I could keep them safe was to go off the grid.
I had to disappear.