8 - Searching

MJ's P.O.V

Happy was driving down the road as fast as he could (which wasn't that fast in the centre of New York) and I was scanning the streets for any sign of Peter.
"This is hopeless! How are we gonna find him if he doesn't want to be found?"
"Just keep looking!"
"This city has 18,804,000 people in it. How are we going to find one? - Wait, stop the car!"
Happy immediately pulled over, much to the annoyance of the drivers behind him."Where?"
"Look there." I pointed to a guy ambling down the street with red hair and a snake tattoo on his neck. It wasn't Peter, but over his shoulder was a very familiar backpack "That's Peter's bag, I'm certain."
"Let's go." Happy rushed out of the car, I followed closely behind, and stepped in front of the guy who stopped in his tracks.
"What d'you want?" He snapped. His face was bruised and red, dried blood caking his nose, like he'd been in a fight recently.
"That backpack." Happy said "Where'd you get it."
He shifted uncomfortably "It's mine."
Happy raised an eyebrow "You sure about that?"
The guy stepped back involuntarily. "Fine, I stole it from this guy. So what?"
"This guy, what was his name?"
"Don't know, don't care. He's under the protection of Pippa now, so I don't want anything to do with him."
"Who?"
His eyes darted between us and then he tried to make a break for it past me.
I grabbed the strap of the backpack, swept his feet out from under him, and slammed him onto the floor.
Happy knelt by the guy "The guy you stole the backpack from. Where is he now?"
"I don't know, I don't know!" He squirmed "I cornered him in an alley near the Williamsburg Bridge, but I don't know where he is now, I swear!"
I let him up but took the backpack off him, glancing inside. It was empty now, but there was no doubt that it was Peter's backpack "It's definitely his."
The guy glanced in-between us "Pippa's protecting that guy - she often hangs out by the Lincoln Tunnel." and then he darted off.
"I'll go check out the alley, you check Lincoln tunnel." I told Happy.
"Are you sure that's a good idea?"
"Splitting up's the fastest way, and I've just proved I can take care of myself, haven't I?"
Happy sighed "Fine, meet back here in 2 hours."
I began to walk off towards the Williamsburg Bridge, but Happy called after me "Where did you learn to fight like that?"
I shrugged "Dad's a great teacher."