16 - Secrets

Peter's P.O.V

Aurora threw me to the floor by Cade's feet.
"MJ!" I scampered up and ran over to where she was tied to a chair in the centre of the room, pulling off her blindfold and gag.
"Peter?" She seemed dazed and confused, and the dried blood caking the left side of her head told me she'd been knocked out at some point.
"Did they hurt you? Are you okay?"
"Y-Yeah, no, I'm - I'm fine." She stammered.
I looked up at Cade, who was now pacing the floor behind MJ, a triumphant grin on his face.
"Let her go."
"Why on earth would I do that when I'm having so much fun right now?"
"And what's to stop us just fighting you to get her back?"
Cade nodded to Aurora. There was a small yelp of surprise behind us and I turned to see Aurora holding Anya in the air, her hand closed around her neck threateningly. I didn't doubt for a second that she could snap her spine in two with a single movement.
I could see we had no choice. We had played right into our enemies hands. I sighed in defeat "What do you want?"
"You." He pointed at me, then his finger moved over to Pippa "And you."
Pippa was so preoccupied worrying about Anya that she didn't have time to respond before I said "No. Absolutely not. You - you can have me, but... Not Pippa."
"Oh well," Cade shrugged nonchalantly "I guess she'll just stay with me then." He looked her up and down and smiled a sickening grin.
"No - no, there must be something else, anything else!"
"You see," Cade crossed his arms and leaned on the arm of his sofa "Pippa and I have... A history, shall we say. And I intend to get revenge."
"You will not be getting Pippa. I won't trade my friends."
"Friends? That's who they are? Even though you've been lying to them since you met them? Pippa, how'd you like to know what Tony's real name is?"
"It doesn't matter what his real name is. He's our friend and nothing can change that."
"Oh, really?" Cade chuckled "In that case, Peter, would you like to tell them who you really are? No? Well, I guess I'll have to then. You know, when I was first told who you are - "
Pippa cut in "Told? By who?"
Cade hesitated for the first time. Clearly, he'd said too much "It doesn't matter." He snapped, then he reached down and yanked MJ to her feet "Do we have a deal or not Peter?"
"No. There is no way Pippa's - "
"Don't I get a say?" She asked.
"No." Lucas said "You don't, because you'd happily trade your life for Anya's, or even for this girl you've never met before, and I'm not going to let you do that."
"I can make my own decisions!" She protested.
"Yes, but those decisions are always stupid ones that put your life in danger!"
"Why can't you just let me do my own thing? I didn't ask you to look after me!"
"Well, someone has to! You're always getting into fights without thinking about the consequences!"
Pippa and Lucas were facing each other now, full on shouting at one another.
"I can look after myself! Why are you always so overprotective of me?"
"Because I love you and I'm not going to lose you!"
I can't say I was shocked, but this really wasn't the time.
For the first time since I'd met her, Pippa looked absolutely, completely speechless.
Cade, clearly not liking the attention being on anyone except him, snarled "Nevermind that. Just - just... You for the girl. O-Ok?"
He was stammering now, all confidence lost.
"Why the sudden change of pace?"
"I - I need you - she won't be happy with me if you - if you get away - "
"Who?"
"It doesn't matter!" He slammed MJ against the wall, holding her by her neck, and drew his knife.
"Wait, Cade - "
He smiled cruelly and began to draw a line with his knife from her temple along her jawline to her chin.
She was trying not to react, I could tell, but she quietly whimpered in pain.
"Cade, stop! Take me, take me, ok, just leave her alone. Please."
Cade dropped the knife.
MJ looked at me, then locked eyes with Pippa and a silent agreement passed between them.
"Fine, you can have your ***** back."
"Don't call her that."
Cade loosened his grip on MJ and it was at that moment that she kneed him in the... Well, I'll leave that to your imagination. But he crumpled to the floor in pain.
Simultaneously, Pippa lunged at Aurora, sliding across the floor to knock her off her feet and send her clattering to the floor, releasing her hold on Anya.
I was so stunned that I hadn't realised that I should be doing something until MJ grabbed my hand "Run!"
I saw Lucas pick up Anya and start running out of the room, his body curled around hers as if trying to protect her with it alone. Pippa stared at Aurora for a second, her fists clenched, then turned her head away from her and followed after Lucas.
"MJ - MJ's lying to you!" Cade gasped out "She's not who says she is!"
MJ's face was the picture of horror.
I hesitated "H-How?"
"Peter, let's go!" She pleaded but I had to hear what he was going to say.
"Her - her dad. Her dad is - " He stumbled to his feet "Her dad is Nick Fury!"
"That - that's not true! It - it can't be..." But I knew from the look on MJ's face that it was.
And then we ran.