21 - The Letter

MJ's P.O.V

Dear MJ,
I'm sorry, but I had to go. I hope that one day you'll forgive me for leaving again. Just know that I have no other choice to keep you safe.
Tell Aunt May not to worry about me. I'll be fine, and hopefully it will be safe for me to see you again soon.
But if something does go wrong, I need you to know this. MJ, I love you. I should have told you every single day since I met you. I don't know if I realised how much until we were apart, but I wasn't able to get you out of my mind. You were always with me, even when I had left you behind, and that's why I have to go. Because if you got hurt because of me, I'd never forgive myself. I love you MJ.
Peter

After reading his words over and over again, I folded the letter and tucked it into my pocket. Then I gazed at the broken black dahlia necklace in my palm. If Peter had left it behind for me, then he really meant it. He wasn't coming back.
Zara stepped towards me tentatively "I - I asked around. He's gone. Pippa, Luke and Anya too. Maria said that she thinks they're heading to Boston, but..."
I sighed regretfully "If - if Peter really thinks that this is what he has to do... I can't really stop him. I think - I think that I should just let him do it."
"Are you sure?"
Before I could answer, a girl jogged over and said urgently to Zara "Raven and Blake have got into a fight again."
"Sorry, I've got to deal with this." She sprinted off to the other side of the tunnel, where 2 teenagers were shouting loudly at each other, and stepped in between them before they began actually fighting.
I pondered on whether I should go after Peter or not - he could look after himself, but he didn't have to - when suddenly my phone rang.
I picked it up and the sound of pure carnage screamed it's way into my ear.
"MJ?" A voice almost whispered, trembling with fear. It was Aunt May "MJ, they - they've already got Ned and Happy, and they're coming for me. Tell Peter he shouldn't come. He can't come for us. If he does, they'll kill him."
"Wait, slow down, what's going on?"
"We were investigating the Daily Bugle but they have - " Her voice cut off but came back a second later "It's some kind of monster. We never stood a chance. They want to lure Peter here. Whatever you do, do not let him come."
"But - "
"Oh gods, they've found me!" She whimpered. There was a crash, and an ear-piercing scream, and then nothing.