five - george

i wake up to somebody knocking on my door. i force my eyes open, and let them adjust to the harsh and sudden brightness of the room. the sun peeks through the narrow gap in between my curtains, warming  everything in it's path. i sigh, pushing myself off the sofa which i fell asleep on a mere three hours ago.

"do you wanna make pancakes?" i hear as i open the door. 

a frown forms on my face as i look up to meet clay's eyes, "what?"

"pancakes?"

i stay silent, trying to comprehend what's going on in my still dazed state, my brain's half-asleep. i bring my hand to my head, rubbing at my temples. 

"to make up for the coffee thing?"

i clear my throat, feeling a little shocked. dumbfounded i ask, "coffee thing?"

he rolls his emerald eyes, which seem to look impossibly greener than yesterday, and sighs loudly as he takes ahold of my forearm. his grip tightens as he drags me across the hall and into his apartment. he ignores my attempts at escaping, and i remind myself i should start working out.

we get into his kitchen and i rub my eyes, waking up considerably at the sight of a bunch of ingredients scattered around his kitchen counters. i can't help but stare in awe at the mess. he releases my arm from his death grip, and my skin tingles where his hand had just been. 

"are you okay?" i ask him, my concern only growing when he starts laughing. he hands me a bowl and instructs me to wait while he fetches the flour and eggs.

after around ten minutes, we're both giggling like children, covered in flour. 

"third times a charm!" he yells, his voice excited. i watch as he begins pouring our badly made mixture into the pan.

i laugh as he flips it and we both begin cheering as he previously failed the pancake flip twice in a row. "third time is a charm." i reply in agreement, which causes him to laugh even harder. my eyes are drawn to him immediately, and i find myself admiring the way he looks when he laughs. time seems to pause and i find myself noticing the small details which i'd normally miss, but for some reason, i see them all. from the creases around his eyes, the little scar on his chin, and every single one of the freckles splayed out over his cheeks. even the way the messier strands of hair falls back with his head when he laughs. 

the orange hue of the kitchen lights make his skin look flawless, and for a moment, i'm almost jealous of how effortlessly good he looks, but i shake the thought from my head, bringing myself back into reality. 

i continue watching as he slides the pancake onto a plate, and spins to put the pan in the sink. i listen as it hisses in the cold water, a thin cloud of smoke evaporates into the air.

he cuts the pancake through the middle, and stabs one half with a fork, lifting up to his face level. i quietly giggle at the wobbling pancake which he's struggling to balance on the fork. he swiftly moves it down to my face, and i feel it's warmth hit my lip. i snort as i take a bite, looking up to meet his eyes.

he's staring back at me intently, and i don't break eye contact as i bring my hand up to his. pushing his hand away from my face, and toward his, he takes a bite from the opposite side. slowly, he wipes his mouth, a grin beginning to form on his lips.

"ding ding ding! we have a winner!" he says, but it's muffled due to the mouthful of surprisingly good pancake. i nod in response, trying to fight the smile tugging at my lips. i watch as he puts the fork back onto the plate, and continues staring down at me. he lifts his hand back up, and i shiver as his fingers gently take ahold of my chin.

he swipes his thumb over my bottom lip, ridding it of pancake residue. his grin slowly fading into a more serious look, as he pulls my head toward him. i let the frown on my face deepen, but i'm sure he's ignoring it. i want to ask him what he's doing, but i'm far too busy fighting the blush which is threatening to present itself on my cheeks. i'm sure if i spoke, it would come out as a squeak, so i don't say a word. he doesn't do anything else, he just tilts his head and studies my face like he's been doing all morning. 

just staring.

but he flinches when the door opens and turns as some girl i haven't seen before walks in. he turns towards the door and walks over to her. my skin quickly growing cold as the warmth of his hand leaves me. i watch as he wraps one arm around her waist, and pulls her close to him as she kisses him on the cheek. a strange feeling settles uncomfortably in my stomach, but i try to ignore it.  

"george! you can finally meet britt." he says, enthusiastically.

i raise a brow, "britt?"

"my girlfriend!"

=====

word count: 903
*in editing*
please vote!

if you're reading this i love you<3