twelve - dream

"isn't that coffee guy?"

britt's lips tear away from mine, this would normally leave them tingling in anticipation, and i frown when i feel nothing. i shake my head but turn to see who nick is referring to. at the sight of george making out with some random girl, her eyebrows crease together.

"is that some sort of code word? were you only kissing me to make that girl jealous?"

shock makes its way onto my face and i stand there unsure of how to respond. i tilt my head, not taking my eyes off the pair.

when i don't reply, she continues her rant, "i'm right, aren't i? you've been staring at the two this entire time."

a sour face replaces my shocked one and i shake my head, scoffing. i don't have the energy to to convince her it's not true, so i walk past britt, bumping her shoulder with my own unintentionally.

i weave through the crowd of drunk people, all dancing and making out with one another. i step into the kitchen, and pour myself another shot which i swallow swiftly, ignoring the burning sensation it leaves as it trails down the back of my throat.

when i get back out into the main room, i spot sapnap talking to george, the girl from before has seemingly disappeared. i wonder for a moment what they could be talking about, but my curiosity doesn't last as i begin walking their way.

upon approaching them, i throw an arm around sapnap, and stare at george.

"me and george are hanging out tomorrow, dude." he tells me, almost excitedly. i give him a lopsided grin in response.

"i'm going to grab another drink, i'll be right back." george says, before stumbling away.

something in the back of my mind tells me i should watch out for him, so i follow him, observing as he trips through the crowd. with a sigh, i grab his arm and pull him toward me.

with him this close, i whisper in his ear, "i think you've had enough."

i hear him faintly laugh, and take this as an agreement. my grip on him tightens as i push through people and lead george to a room.

i reach up with my spare hand, grabbing the key from on top of the doorframe and unlock it. george doesn't say a word, but follows me as i enter the dimly lit room. it used to be a study room, but i can't imagine myself putting it to any use.

the interior looks ancient, a brown couch sits in the middle, and a small coffee table in front of it. the tablecloth is tattered and designed with horrible shades of green, i remind myself to throw it out later.

pointing to the couch in the centre of the room, i watch as george goes immediately to it.

"you should take a nap." i state, to which he pouts in response.

i grab a blanket from the bottom end of the couch, and gently drag it over him. i smile in content when i see a small smile playing at his lips.

i scratch my head as i walk back into the party room, but not before closing the door behind me again. i trust nobody would enter as it's been locked until now.

a few hours go by and people are leaving in small groups, however the house is far from empty.

it's at least 11pm by now and the party is at that weird state, where some are starting to leave, but there are still a few groups of people left; ignoring the world around them as they dance in little circles, stepping over empty solo cups which seem to litter every surface possible.

i count the heads of those remaining, there are around 20 people still around, including the ones who are sleeping in odd places.

i note how messy the room has now become, and the only people left are drunks who'll probably end up passing out and staying the night. with this in mind, i weave around people to pick up as many empty cups as i can to save me time tomorrow.

i drop a bunch in the sink, and my eyes are starting to feel heavy. as i wander into the main room again, i wonder where my friends have gone.

shaking my head, i make my way upstairs after turning the music down. to my surprise, nobody complained.

i close my door behind me, fully shutting out the noise. i quickly pull my shirt off, only now noticing it's soaked with sweat and spilt alcohol. i also struggle out of my jeans, and end up putting on a pair of grey joggers.

something nags in the back of my mind to check on georges, so i quickly make my way back downstairs.

as i near the door to the room he's in, i hear a crash from inside. i rush in, but i halt when i see the state he's in.

"what are you doing?" i ask, jogging toward him.

george is in the middle of the studio room, behind the sofa, and on the floor. his shirt is stained with various colours of paint, and he's staring at the easel which has come down with him. the canvas has a portrait of my face on it, with butterflies all around it.

i wonder for a second how he noticed the blank canvas and easel as it was kept neatly in the corner of the room.

"you painted that?"

he smiles up at me, "i'm a creative drunk."

i laugh at this, helping him up, "a clumsy one, too."

i tell him we can clean up tomorrow, but we should rest now. i lead him upstairs and into my room, before throwing a shirt at him.

"go change." i order, taking his stained shirt from him when he's done. i throw it in the laundry pile, and help his drunken self into my bed. i tell him i'll sleep elsewhere, so he can get comfortable.

as i turn to leave, he murmurs a word that makes my heart stutter.

"stay."

=====

word count: 928
*in editing*
please vote!

this is my longest chapter yet (:
(edit: no it isn't. i lied.)