Chapter 25

A/N: I owe you all an apology for updating after a month. I did want to update within a week of the previous update, but then I had to write a lot of assignments for my college and by the time I was done with it, my laptop was short-circuited (I could no longer write). I just got it repaired a couple of days ago and I am updating it. I will try to update as soon as I can. 

Enjoy

******

By the time Taurus and I reached the hospital, Aiko was down there with Kessa. Though she was not connected to the IV line anymore, the back of her hand had a needle.

She blinked at a male and then at the female on the bed next to him. There had been a time when Aiko and Clio would look like sisters. But now, the female who was nothing but skin and bones did not share an ounce of resemblance with her daughter.

Silence prevailed over that family as Erica cried. Tears streamed down her face, leaving a trace of where they have been. When I looked at her, a pair of black beads studded in red pools looked at me. When the red was white, her eyes held so much vivacity that spurred me on many times. Now, I had to search for her breath to know she was alive.

Her face was puffy, and her shoulders shook continuously. Nox stood next to her, but no one comforted her.

Seeing me, Mina took a document and gave it to me. "A sign here."

I skimmed through the document. Medical words danced before my eyes before I finally saw the place where I had to sign. Taurus handed me a pen, and somehow I signed my name there.

Before I could finish my sign, Mina walked towards Erica and a nurse took the document from me.

"Doctor." Erica had a scratchy voice. "Can you-"

Mina pulled her up and gave her a tight hug. "I... I was there when N-Nash died." Her voice broke. "I lost him that day," she whispered, "I know the pain, Erica. I won't let you lose Zeke. I promise."

Her words stunned me. Who did not know how Mina lost her mate, Nash? I heard stories of how she had operated him herself and when her medical skills failed; she had even marked him to keep him alive.

Was Erica to Zeke what Mina was to Nash? Was she his mate? Why did Zeke never tell me? Tell any of us.

"Thank you," she croaked. "Thank you, Mina."

Nodding, she left, giving the nurse next to her a set of instructions. The smell of death and blood cloaked me. Suffocated me.

I looked at the male next to Erica.

"I-I am sorry, Draco," he said. "I failed."

My gaze turned sharp. "I told you, Nox. Told you that Zeke was not a fighter. Told you to protect him as well."

He dropped his face down and closed his eyes tightly. "I-I am sorry."

"Is that going to bring my friend back?" I roared. "Will it?"

Taurus gripped my wrist and pulled me towards him. Though I was an inch taller than him, I fit in his embrace. I struggled, but he never let me go.

"Draco." His voice was soothing. "Listen to me. Zeke is not dead. He is there in the operation theatre and Mina is trying her best to save him. Don't talk as if he is gone. Nox brought him fast enough to give him some minutes. Maybe... there were too many that even Nox had trouble. He is a star, yes, but he is not omnipotent."

I choked. "Z-Zeke is my best friend."

Taurus nodded. "I know. He is."

"I can't lose him after Sean," I said. "I already lost one friend."