4. A new follower

Dialogues written in Italic means they are conversing in their minds.

------------------------------------------------

After half starvation for weeks, Feng Nan finally allows Li Yan to leave the mountain. Li Yan has made a break through to peak silver stage when he left the seclusion spot.

Li Yan complaints, "I miss human foods. Let's eat buns and..."

Feng Nan speaks in his mind, "You have money?"

Li Yan is quiet.

Finally he asks in his mind, "You are a demon. You know how to get money?"

"Easy. Kill a human and rob him."

Li Yan yells, "No way! That's out of question!"

He might be hungry. He isn't a criminal.

Li Yan is searching for foods when he notices a weird egg on top of nearby boulders. The size is too large for a simple bird egg. He picks it up.

"How to cook this one? I got no pot or pan..."

Suddenly the egg cracks. A cute little chick comes out from it. Li Yan is staring to it.

The chick suddenly says, "Mama..."

Li Yan is shocked and the chick falls down from his palm. Fortunately it isn't far above the ground. The chick doesn't seem to suffer great injuries. It walks toward him in unsteady steps. It's beady eyes are staring him with unblinking eyes.

"Mama..."

Tears are shown in the chick's eyes.

Li Yan protests, "I'm not your Mama!"

Feng Nan says, "For a newborn, the first person it saw is the mother."

Li Yan is silent.

The chick is surprised to hear two different voices are coming from one body.

Feng Nan asks, "You are no ordinary chick, aren't you? What kind of demon beast are you?"

No reply from the chick. It looks confused. It's too young to understand anything. It doesn't have any parents to teach about it's origin.

"Chirp?"

Li Yan stares it dumbfounded.

He asks, "What should we do about him?"

"Cook it," replies Feng Nan.

The chick stares him with frightened eyes. It doesn't know about the word cook. It sounds scary enough.

Li Yan protests, "No way! It's too adorable! It doesn't have any meat too!"

"Fine. Let's feed it and then cook it. Right, chicklet?"

The chick flees from that spot immediately. A snake leaps from a bush and bites it.

Li Yan kills the snake and saves the wounded chick.

"Mama..."

It's crying bitterly right now.

Li Yan says softly, "Don't cry, baby. Don't cry."

Li Yan tries his best to stop it's bleeding with pressing his sleeve to the wound. He bandages it's tiny body.

"Mama, it hurts..."

"A good boy doesn't cry. Be strong."

Feng Nan says in their mind links, "It's a girl, stupid."