13. I need points

Li Yan stares to a white card in his hand. He offers it to a steward in Hall of rewards. The guy swipes the card to a huge dark stone at the center of the Hall. The card changes color into a bit yellowish.

The steward returns the card to him. Li Yan accepts it. He knows how it's done because the process is the same in Nine Clouds Sect. Disciples would receive points after finishing quests assigned to them.

Zhao Yang offers his card to the steward. The card color is black. He swipes it to the huge black stone. It doesn't show any change at all.

The steward says, "Congrats, senior brother. You are almost there. 1,000 points more."

Zhao Yang stares to a broad sword displayed on the wall. There is a number beneath it. Ten thousands points. He has been saving his points for years.

Other disciples used up their points for medicinal pills, skill manuals and etc. Not Zhao Yang. He has never used his points. He will only exchange it for that sword.

Li Yan stares to the black card in his hand.

"Wow! How much points in there?" asks him.

The darker the card, the higher the points.

Zhao Yang replies, "Around 9,000 points."

Li Yan stares him with worshipping eyes. No one in his old Sect could have saved up a huge number of points like him.

The steward comments, "Our senior brother is very diligent in doing quests. He has never used up his points for silly stuffs like spiritual foods, wine or money."

Li Yan scratches his head. He is going to exchange his points for foods later. The disciples foods are too bland for his taste.  After all, he is quite a foodie.

Zhao Yang stares the sword one last time before he leaves the spot.

Li Yan stares to  the quest list on the wall. Terminating demon beasts. Hunting spiritual herbs. Mining ores. Helping commoners to solve something. The quests aren't so different from the ones in his old Sect. Except for mining ores. There are no mines in Nine Clouds Sect.

He browses all the items on display. Any disciple could exchange any item if he has enough points.

There isn't much points in his card yet. He chooses not to exchange any item. His points aren't even enough to get any spiritual fruits on display.

The steward asks, "You see anything you want?"

Li Yan shakes his head.

He confesses, "I have not enough points. Any possibility to get anything on credit?"

"Nope. Sorry. That isn't possible. Excuse me."

"Wait! Is there any other way to earn points?"

"Doing manual labors for the Sect like sweeping the stairways. Helping in the smithy. Or you could ask alchemists for jobs. They would give you points if you find the herbs they want."

It's really the same thing in Nine Clouds Sect. Sweeping would kill him. The stairways are endless around here. Too many broad chambers.

Li Yan doesn't know herbs that well. He couldn't dig them carelessly too. If he accidentally snap at the roots, the herbs would be useless trash.

He shakes his head. He better heads to a smithy to see he could get any work.

Feng Nan mind links him, "Strange to see you wanting to earn points."

"I'm craving for meat. Can't swallow anymore that bland taste porridge. You think Zhao Yang could buy foods for me?"

"Shameless."

"Guess you are right. He has been saving for the sword. It won't be fair for him."

Li Yan's head hung down. He is quite a foodie. He missed his old life as a Chairman. All his disciples used to cook many delicious foods for him. Anything he wanted.

He arrives at the smithy. It's a large chamber with high darkened ceilings. No window here to prevent thievery. Only one door to enter and leave this place. Few disciples are crafting equipments in the hot scorching smithy.

Li Yan has already sweating. He closes his eyes and imagines chicken drumsticks. He gulps and gathers up his will.

He greets an elder, "Fifth Elder, I would like to ask for work."

"Have you made something before?"

"No. But I know the basic crafting methods."

"Well, you are beginner. Go over that spot. There is a formula there. Try to craft the fountain pen for the Sect."

Materials for fountain pen don't cost too much. That's why the Sect asked beginners to make them.

Li Yan sits down, cross legged. He takes few materials from the piles. He uses one of the furnaces in front of him. He tosses the items into the furnace. He closes his eyes and focuses his mind.

The materials begin to melt in the smithy. His forehead is sweating.

Feng Nan is silent. It's the first time he sees this sloth to try hard earning money. The demon doesn't disturb him. He is cultivating right now. Trying to absorb the snake demon core into himself. He would need a lot of cores to heal his injured soul.

Three hours later, the process is finished.  Three fountain pens have been made. Li Yan wipes his sweaty forehead with his sleeves. He offers the items to the Elder.

The old man smiles while nodding his head. This new disciple is quite talented in crafting. He made pens in one go.

He asks, "Have you ever measured your soul force?"

"No."

"Well, we have a Soul stone here. Please check it out."

"Okay."

The Elder leads him to deeper section of the chamber. A dusty rainbow colored gigantic stone is lying on a corner.

Li Yan presses his hand on it when he is ordered. He closes his eyes and focuses his soul force into it.

Rainbow brilliant colors are shining instantly. The brightness makes the Elder's eyes hazy for a moment.

He yells, "Rainbow! Dear Lord! Rainbow!"

He stares Li Yan as if he is staring a priceless treasure.

Li Yan pulls his hand after he opens his eyes. The light disperse at once. He stares the excited old man.

The Elder asks, "Do you know what it means?"

Li Yan shakes his head.

The Elder coughs once to regain his composure. He inhales a deep breath to get calmer.

He explains, "Soul force determined the success of crafting or refining pills. Soul force has colors like rainbows. Starting from the lowest red to the highest purple."

Li Yan still looks confused.

The Elder adds, "Rainbow colors. Your soul force is so unique. Not many people have rainbow soul force. You could become a craftsman or an alchemist. There is no limit to items you could forge or pills you refined. Thanks to your soul force."

Li Yan looks too calm after hearing the explanation.

The Fifth Elder asks, "Are you going to be an alchemist or craftsman?"

"Neither. I hate too much hard work. Could I get my points now?"

The Elder grunts when he swipes the card for him. This young man has a very rare talent. Yet he refused to use it. Just because he is too lazy to develop his talents.

The old man kept on lamenting after Li Yan leaves the smithy.

--------------------------------------
Please vote and comment:)