Chapter Nineteen

Night has come again. Trent is grilling fish and pork for their dinner while I prefer to eat the food Sebastian bought in Dusk Town. I got a sandwich for lunch while chicken and white rice for dinner. I am starting to think that Dusk Town has a fast food chain just hiding in plain sight. We are all in the courtyard looking like we're having a picnic. Tom and I are sitting on an old curtain that Trent got from his stockroom, Sebastian is helping Trent on grilling their food.

"Sorry that I couldn't offer you decent food while you're in my world," Trent apologized.

"It's fine. I know your taste have changed since you turned into a ghoul."

I'm sure a simple fish and pork doesn't satisfy a ghoul's appetite. I know they eat corpse.

"What were you guys really doing when we were gone a while ago? This demon sensed something that's why he decided to fly just to get back here faster. This is your fault Quinn that I have an upset stomach. You know I hate flying! I had to vomit all the fish that I ate!" Tom complained.

Sebastian acted strangely since they came back. He kept on asking if something bad happened.

"We were just talking, that's all," I said.

"I'm just curious, how did you met Sebastian?" Tom blurted out.

"There's nothing special about it to be honest. It was when I just turned into a ghoul and I'm still not used to how my cravings changed. I tried to suppress my hunger for corpse but I will surely die if I continue to do that. So, one day, I went to hunt my food and went to the Dumpster where dead bodies are usually thrown out there. Being my first time eating a dead body, I tried to select something that hasn't completely rotten. So when I found my target, who I thought is already dead, opened his damn eyes seconds before I could slice his throat. I really thought he's a dead human but I was wrong. He just gave me a frightening look and went back sleeping."

"So you almost eat him?" Tom laughed. "Okay continue your story."

"I thought he was from Earth but the color of his eyes gave off that he's a demon. So I tried to kill him because demons took my wife and the rest of Aletheians. We fought but obviously I couldn't even put a single scratch on him. So, I asked him for a contract instead. He told me he already have a contractee that time but I insisted that I'm only after the bodies that he killed. Sebastian agreed and it became our routine, he will kill it and I will eat it."

"So what did Sebastian asked in return?" I asked out of curiosity. It became clear to me that I can also benefit for having a contract with him too.

"This. After a long, long time, he finally asked something back. I thought he already forgot about me because we haven't seen each other for years."

"What were you doing there Sebastian at the dumpster anyway?" Tom asked.

"It was for my master back then. He made me thrown out all the bodies we slaughtered. I was lying there because I'm too tired but this annoying peasant showed up," Sebastian said.

"Yeah and don't forget that you asked help from this peasant, Sebby!" Trent retaliated.

"You're indebted to me so that's how things work," Sebastian said in return. "Hey, can you focus on cooking? Look at that, it's burnt already!"

I laughed seeing them having fun. These guys really know how to entertain me and made me forget that I'm just their captive.

"What about you, Quinn? How did these two found you?" Trent asked.

It took a moment before I could even answer his question. There was an awkward silence between us until Sebastian finally said something to break the ice.