Chapter Nine: Jax

Author's Note: I severely messed with the ages of the Corinthos/Davis girls for this story.

"What the fuck is the club going to run in Port Charles if not guns?" Jax rounded on his stepfather the moment Corinthos left the chapel.

"Relax, kid," Clay chuckled. "It'll take at least a year to get a new chapter put together. We got time to figure it out."

Jax still didn't fucking trust him.

When Jax arrived home that night, it was to find Kristina sitting on the floor of the living room with Abel, helping his son build a tower out of wooden blocks.

"Daddy!" Abel smiled, getting to his little feet and running to greet him. In the child's haste, the block tower went tumbling down into Kristina's lap, making her laugh.

"Hey there, buddy," Jax caught his son in his arms and gave him a hug. "What are you doing awake?"

"Blame my dad," Kristina said as she got to her feet. In her flannel pajama pants and tight white tank top, he could see the small swell of her stomach. It was the first proof he had seen of her pregnancy. "I had him in bed and the A-S-S-H-O-L-E," she spelled, "rang the doorbell."

Now he was worried. Why had Corinthos stopped by after the meeting? He had to know that Kristina didn't want to see him.

"Abel, buddy, go and watch cartoons in my room." Jax put the toddler on his feet. "You can sleep with daddy tonight."

Excited by the break of routine, Abel ran off down the hallway.

"Is everything cool?" Jax turned his attention to Kristina as soon as his son was gone.

"If by 'cool', you mean that he dropped by to tell me that he's flying in my stepmom, brother, and sisters for what's starting to look more and more like a shotgun wedding." Kristina flopped to sit down on the couch. "Yeah, everything's cool."

Jax snorted out a laugh and sat down beside her. At least she still had a sense of humor.

"I'm sorry for dragging you into this." Kristina turned and gave him an apologetic smile.

Jax laughed. "I've had way worse shit happen to me, babe. Besides, you're good with my kid and the club's getting a Port Charles chapter out of it. Clay worked a deal with your pops."

Kristina gave him a surprised look.

"What?"

"You just talked about your business to me." This seemed to have the woman genuinely confused.

"Yeah, so? You're about to be my old lady," he shrugged. "My mom knows this shit, why can't you?" He also didn't like the idea of his mother having an advantage over his wife. That just wasn't safe.

"In my dad's world, the women aren't allowed to know anything." Kristina grabbed a couch pillow and hugged it to her chest. "My dad always sends my stepmom away when he needs to talk business and the only reason my mom ever knew anything was because she was his lawyer and was the one who always had to get him out of trouble."

So, Corinthos had a wife but Kristina had been birthed by his lawyer. And they called the town Charming. Jax couldn't believe the hypocrite was actually pushing them to get married; like having his grandchild born in wedlock was really going to improve his chances of getting to Heaven. There was no heaven, not for men like them.

"In my world, the old ladies know everything... they just pretend they don't," Jax laughed.

"I like that." Kristina reached up and tucked a piece of hair behind her ear.

"Good, cause you're stuck with me now, babe." Jax reached into his jeans pocket and dug out his mom's old engagement ring, offering it to her.