Chapter Twenty-Six: Jax

Kristina was only four centimeters dilated when they arrived at St. Thomas Hospital. According to the doctor, they had a while to go before they met their son. Two hours in and Kristina had abandoned her plan on having a natural birth. She (very loudly) demanded an epidural and Jax held her as the needle was inserted into her spine. This was right around the time that Gemma showed up. She had laughed when she saw how woozy her son was watching his wife's injection.

Half an hour later and Kristina's pain had been eased enough to allow her to fall into a light sleep.

"I'll stay with her, baby," Gemma got his attention from the rocking chair beside the window that she was occupying. "Why don't you go and grab a cup of coffee? It's gonna be a long night and the cafeteria's going to be closing soon."

Needing to stretch his legs, Jax took his mom up on her offer. He stood from the chair beside his wife's bed. Leaning down, he kissed Kristina's forehead. "Love you, princess."

Jax hadn't even made it to the elevator when Juice jogged up to him. "Getting coffee? Mind if I come?" Juice gave him a pointed look and Jax got the message.

"I don't care," Jax shrugged, walking around him to hit the call button for the elevator. Once they were safely inside with the doors closed, Jax crossed his arms over his chest. "Make it fast and make it good," he ordered.

Juice smacked the emergency stop button and the elevator came to a screeching halt. "Clay logged twelve calls to Tara's office in Chicago before she came back to town."

"When was the first call?"

"Two days after Corinthos came to town the first time," Juice answered, talking fast. "There's more..."

"Right around the same time that Clay contacted Tara he also started placing calls to a burner number that was issued out of LA," Juice shared grimly. "I don't have a name yet but there are whispers that Clay's in bed with a major West Coast player, someone with power to rival your father-in-law's who wants to take his game national."

"Fuck!" Jax punched the metal elevator wall, leaving a dent. "Clay can give whoever this guy is inside information on the Corinthos operation. How long until you have a name?"

"I'm not sure," Juice shook his head. "Whoever Clay's talking to is going out of his way not to be found. I did intercept a text about some meeting Clay's supposed to be at this Saturday night." Juice handed him a piece of paper with the information written down.

Jax shoved the paper into his pocket without looking at it. "I'm gonna bring Happy in on this. I want him to follow Clay to that meeting." He hit the button to restart the elevator. "I'm gonna have him meet you at your shop tomorrow and I want you to fill him in on everything. My focus has to be on my family for the next few days."

"I got your back," Juice nodded.