Chapter Twenty- Eight: Jax

Jax's burner phone started ringing just as he was about to join his exhausted wife in bed. He hurriedly answered it so that the ringing didn't wake up Thomas or Abel. One would want to eat and the other would want to party. "What's up, Happy?"

"Brother, we've got a big problem."

"What's the problem?" Jax ran a tired hand over his face.

"I followed Clay last night. He rode out to a lumber yard in Stockton. Jax, he met with August Marks. Juice says they've been in contact on the phone for over a year."

Happy's voice sounded very grave but Jax couldn't understand why. "Bro, you say August Marks like I'm supposed to know who the hell that is."

Happy sighed on the other side of the phone. "Think of it like this, August Marks is to the West Coast what Sonny Corinthos is to the East Coast. Get it now? Marks has power, money, and serious muscle."

"Yeah...this is bad," Jax agreed. "We need to find a way to bring this to the club without Clay finding out that we know."

"Take it to Piney ad Opie first," Happy suggested. "Piney can't fuckin' stand Clay and Opie's your best friend. They should know first."

"Let me think about it, man." There was nothing he could do about it that night anyway. "You and Juice meet me tomorrow at ten. Juice's shop."

Once Jax hung up the phone, he turned it off, threw it in the junk drawer in the kitchen, and retired to his bedroom. He tried to be as quiet as possible as he went about his nightly routine and stripped out of his clothes.

"Where have you been, honey?" Jax had thought her sleeping but Kristina was wide awake.

"I was on the phone with Happy." Jax joined her in bed, sitting up and leaning against the headboard. "Him and Juice found some dirt on Clay. He's been talking to a player who's as big as your pops."

Kristina sat up and turned to face him. "What are we going to do?"

Jax almost cracked a smile. His old lady really was ride or die and was always in his corner. "I think I'm going to tell Piney and Opie first before bringing it to the rest of the club."

"You need to tell Bobby and Tig too," Kristina advised. "They're loyal to the club, not Clay. If everyone knows before you bring it to the table you'll have a much easier time getting a mayhem vote to pass."

Jax would admit it was sound advice that he was probably going to take but he didn't want to think about club shit anymore that night. He pulled Kristina over to cuddle against his chest. He wrapped his arms around her and kissed her forehead. "How were the boys today?"

"Abel's not acting nearly as jealous as I expected him to. He's being really sweet with Thomas and even held his bottle for him today while I was making his lunch." Jax could hear the unconditional love in his wife's tone. "Thomas seems to be on a good schedule and isn't fussing very much. Your mom says he's an easier baby than you and Abel were."

Jax held her a little tighter. "Those boys are lucky to have you for a mother. I love you, baby."

Kristina leaned up and softly kissed him. "Love you too, honey."