Chapter Thirty-One: Wendy

This was a bad idea. She knew it. But her damn moral compass still pointed her in the direction of the Teller-Morrow garage anyway. She bypassed the office, fearful of Gemma, and went directly to the clubhouse. She found Jax in the bar surrounded by his brothers a group of people that she guessed were his in-laws. He looked rough, like he hadn't slept in days. Happy sat directly beside him, looking much the same.

Jax was apocalyptic with rage when he spotted her. He jumped to his feet so fast that his chair went flying into the wall behind him.

Wendy held up her hands in surrender. "I came to help, not start trouble, I swear. Tara called me."

That got everyone's attention. Wendy was quickly hustled into the chapel with the men of SAMCRO and two other men. One was introduced as Sonny Corinthos, Kristina's father. The other was Jason Morgan, her brother-in-law.

"Out with it," Happy barked at her.

Wendy took a deep breath to steady herself. "Tara called me about an hour ago acting fucking insane. From what she said, Clay's led her to believe that Kristina stole Abel from me. She doesn't know what I did or that I was the one who chose to walk away all on my own." Shame crept into her voice but she couldn't help it. She'd almost killed Abel in the womb. "She told me that she had the bitch – her words, not mine – who ruined my life and her baby. She wants me to kidnap Abel and then take him and the baby and go on the run so she can be with you," she nodded at Jax. "Jax, she's really fucking lost it. She says she has Kristina's kid sister too."

"What did you tell her?" Sonny asked, his voice like steel. "Are my girls okay?"

Wendy nodded. "For now. I told Tara I'd do it but I convinced her to hold off on killing Kristina and her sister. I told her that I wanted to be there to watch to buy me enough time to talk to you." She dug a piece of paper out of her jeans pocket. "I'm supposed to meet her at this address, tonight at ten." She passed the paper to Sonny.

"Juice, find out all that you can on that address NOW," Jax ordered as he got to his feet.

Juice took the address and ran from the room.

"Jax," Wendy got his attention.

"What?" Her ex-husband crossed his arms over his chest impatiently.

"Is it true what Tara told me? Did Abel really have to run while his mom, baby brother, and aunt were taken at gunpoint?" She knew who Kristina was. She'd gotten the papers when the other woman had been kindhearted enough to adopt Abel as her own. That's all Wendy had wanted for Abel when she had walked away. She had wanted Jax to find someone who could be the mother that she couldn't be. She had gotten her wish in the form of Kristina but her poor baby had had it all snatched away from him. She was both heartbroken and infuriated at the same time.

Jax nodded. "Kristina told him to hide. I found him hiding in his closet."

"Jesus Christ." Wendy had to fight back tears. She looked Jax dead in the eye. "Promise me you'll kill this bitch."

"You have my word."

The men of SAMCRO, as well as Sonny and Jason, took off on a rescue mission immediately after their conversation. Wendy had been ordered to stay at the clubhouse. After Jax had explained to his mother why she was there even Gemma was playing nice.

Kristina and Molly's family was gathered on one side of the bar. Abel was there as well, sitting on the lap of one of his adoptive aunts who was obviously pregnant. Wendy stayed away out of respect, choosing to sit alone at a table in a far corner.

Gemma surprised her when she laid a Hansen's grape soda, her favorite, on the table in front of her and took a seat. "You did good today, baby," she gave her a warm smile.

"Thanks," Wendy looked down at her hands. "With sobriety apparently comes a little angel for my shoulder. I didn't want Abel to lose his mom."

Gemma nodded. "You've finally gotten your shit together, Wendy. I'm proud of you."

Wendy wasn't good with praise so she changed the subject. "What happened with Clay?" She popped the top of her soda.

Gemma's face grew sad. "He betrayed me, my family, and this club in the worst possible way. The club voted for mayhem but he disappeared when Kristina and Molly did."

"Shit, Gem, I'm sorry."

The older woman shrugged. "It's life. Mine's never been easy but I'll survive. I always do." She composed herself and put a small smile on her face. "We were all talking over there," she nodded towards where Abel sat with his family. "We think it would be okay for you to over and say hi to Abel...so long as you don't tell him who you are."

Wendy wanted to say yes and accept the offer but she couldn't. She had to do the right thing regardless of how she felt. "That's generous, Gemma, it really is. I'd love nothing more but...not right now. I want to get his mom's permission first." Kristina was Abel's mother. She and Jax were the only ones who could grant that kind of introduction.

Gemma smiled. "I have a good feeling Kristina will give her permission. She's the nice one in the family."

Wendy could only hope.