Chapter Nineteen: Jax

The moment he stepped foot in the house and saw the look of pure rage on his wife's face, Jax knew something was wrong. He had entered through the back kitchen door and found Kristina standing at the counter pouring two glasses of lemonade.

"Babe, what's wrong?" He walked to her side and looked her up and down in concern.

"You have a guest in the living room," Kristina told him icily, dodging his attempt to kiss her.

This was bad. Kristina craved his touch almost as much as he craved hers. She had never turned away from him before. Jax peeked around the corner, into the living room, and his blood began to boil. Tara. What the fuck was that uptight bitch doing in his house? She was supposed to be in Chicago.

Kristina went to pick up the glasses of lemonade but Jax stopped her. "Don't bother with the drinks, darlin'. That gash is leavin'."

Jax stomped into the living room and came to a stop in front of Tara. "What are you doing here?" He wasn't going to bother with pleasantries. It's not like she had shown an ounce of respect or concern for him when she took off ten years earlier. Why should he care about her feelings?

"I wanted to tell you in person that I'm moving back home. I got a position at St Thomas." Tara seemed to be watching him closely for a reaction. Same old Tara, same old mind games.

"That doesn't explain why you thought that I needed to know anything. We haven't spoken in ten years. Why would I give a shit what you do?" Now he was being an asshole and he knew it but he was too old to deal with Tara's bullshit. He had ridden that crazy train as a teenager and he was not interested in another ride. Once was enough. "If you want me to plan your welcome home party, I'm sorry but I'm a little busy. I just married a beautiful woman, the mother of my son, and we got another one on the way. I don't have time for you."

Tara got to her feet with a look of wounded disgust on her face. "When did you turn into such an asshole?"

"Right around the time you turned into a self-righteous, cowardly bitch," Jax shot back at her.

"Whatever." Tara shook her head as she headed for the door. "Enjoy your child bride."

Jax smirked. "Oh, trust me, darlin', I do."

Abel came running into the room with Kristina a few steps behind him. "Daddy, look, evil witch!" The little boy pointed at Tara.

Jax was able to conceal his laughter until Tara had stormed out and slammed the door behind her.

"She needs a timeout. She's naughty." Abel scrunched up his nose before running off.

"Did you tell him to say that?" Jax finally got his laughter under control and looked towards his giggling wife.

Kristina shook her head. "No, our son is just convinced that Tara looks like the Evil Queen from Snow White. Your mom bought him the Disney classics collection last week."

Jax chuckled as he moved to take her in his arms. "I'm sorry you had to meet my emotional baggage, babe."

"I'm sorry I got all bitchy. I was just jealous, I guess." Kristina was blushing. "She was your first love and people say that dies hard."

Jax leaned down and softly kissed her. "What I felt for Tara was puppy love compared to the way I love you. You have no reason to be jealous, sweetheart. I 100% belong to you and the boys. The evil queen would have to poison an apple to take me away from you."

Kristina playfully shrugged. "It wouldn't matter if she poisoned an apple. I'd be there waiting with 'True Love's Kiss'."

"You better be, woman." He kissed her again.

"Mommy, daddy." Abel's little voice broke them apart. He was holding the DVD of Disney's 'Snow White'. "We watch pweaze?"

Jack chuckled as he reached out and took the DVD. "Sure, buddy."