Chapter 12

"Sam? I think we need to talk," I tell him, after I spot him at the restaurant he took me that one night. I had come to the restaurant because  I thought it would help me feel better, but I didn't expect to see Sam here. It's better that he's here anyway. My original plan was to text him, and ask him to meet me somewhere, but this will be easier. "Sam, would you like to come into the restaurant? I think it will be much easier for the both of us to talk in there," I look down at the floor, nervously.  "Emily, I'm not really in the mood to eat-" he begins.
"Please Sam? Please?" I interrupt him, and he turns his head around. "Okay," he replies with all I can hope is a hint of a smile. "Thank you," I say, and we both walk into the restaurant.

We get seated at the same table we were at last time, and the waiter hands us both menus. I glance at Sam well he flips open his menu to the second page. He's wearing a plain navy blue t-shirt, and black plants, his dark bronze colored hair is all wavy, and messy. Sam looks up from his menu, and our eyes lock for a moment, before he continues searching for his lunch. I take my menu, and flip through all the pages, I have no idea what to eat, I wasn't planning to have lunch, but here we are. I decide on getting a grilled chicken salad with a side roll, and Sam orders a grilled steak. "So," I say causally, well we're waiting for our food to come. "So," he replies. "What did you want to talk about?" Sam asks me looking down at the white tiled floor. "Everything," I answer briefly.   I want to talk about everything, but one of the main things I want to talk about is what happened yesterday, and this morning, with Thomas. I have no idea how I'm going to talk to Sam about any of this though. "Emily," Sam looks at me. "If this is about what happened with-" he stops talking for a moment, almost like he's trying to control his temper. "Thomas.....then I don't know what to say besides I'm sorry. I shouldn't have lashed out at you, it was wrong of me. I'm very sorry Emily, and I hope you'll be able to accept my apology." He finishes, and smiles at me kindly.
"Of course I do," I return his smile.
"Very well," he says right when our food hits our table. We both grab our dishes, and start eating, I'm famished. Even though Thomas made that lovely breakfast, I wasn't able to eat that much. My thoughts just kept circling in my head like a toy train. Speaking of thoughts, I can't get Thomas out of my mind. His smile, his hair, his voice, his eyes, I remember yesterday, when he asked me to dance, and asked for my number. How he offered me a ride home, how his tire went flat, how I invited him into my rental home, and this morning. My thoughts just can't help but surround him, and they need to stop. I need to worry about Sam right now, that's the reason I came to London in the first place, right? "Is something wrong?" Sam asks me politely, taking a bite of his food. "Oh, no. Everything is lovely," I reassure him with a sweet smile. We continue eating are meal, and then I ask Sam if he would like dessert. He replies yes, so we have the waiter come and hand us both desert menus. This time, I end up ordering a chocolate milkshake, and Sam gets a vanilla one.

"So, Emily, isn't your birthday coming up soon?" Sam asks me a few minutes later.
"Oh, yes it is actually," I giggle. "Next Thursday on the 18th, right before I leave," I add.
"Yeah, that's right, you leave soon," his eyes drop to the floor. "Yes, I do leave soon, but I'll still keep in touch with you, I promise." I give him a genuine smile. "What about Thomas?" He questions me, avoiding eye contact. "I don't want to talk about Thomas, right now," I reply strictly. For the rest of the time we're both silent, we finish are dessert, and walk out of the restaurant. We both walk over to the corner of the restaurant, close to where we both parked our cars. "Thank you, Emily."
"What for?" I ask curiously.
"What do you mean, what for? For everything! Thank you for paying for lunch, for forgiving me, for our friendship! Thank you Emily! Thank you!" He thanks me politely over, and over again. "But really, what I should be saying is THANK YO-!" I'm not able to finish. I feel someone's lips meet mine. Sam. We stand there for a moment, two, three, I loose track of time, my thoughts still circling in my head. I still think about.........Thomas. A second later, almost like summoning a spirit, I get a text, and pull away from Sam. I grab my phone from my pocket, and read the text it reads, "Hello there, I'm at your house right now, are you home?" It's from Thomas......