⁰⁵|ʙᴀᴄᴋ ʜᴏᴍᴇ

Each event transpired so quickly; one minute Harry was standing in front of the Mirror of Erised feeling the stone in his pocket, the next he was burning Quirell with his bare hands. The little boy couldn't understand any of it. 

But this was not the important to dwell upon. While Harry's body moved as a result of the sheer adrenaline rush, his mind paused to remember each face he's ever come across, each memory he's made. Each time death loomed closer, he saw his parents, godparents, and freshly discovered friends who may forget him if he died right now.

He thought about his future, he wanted it. He wanted to grow old and find a job that was fun. Hang around with his friends, like The Marauders. He also wanted to become an animagus like James, Remus and Sirius. He wanted to make Lily proud by coming back home with good grades.

Perhaps it was the motivation, or the sheer will to survive, that kept him going. Harry vanquished Voldemort without a single faltering step or tremble in his force. He had won his first battle, though, he had the uneasy sensation that this was just the beginning.

He was now in the infirmary of school, as soon as he got up he had bombarded the headmaster with concerns for his friends.

The sincerity of Dumbledore's reply had let him be reassured about the matter.

He had so many questions in mind out of which he decided to ask three.

How had he gotten the stone? How did he burn someone with his hands? Will he ever come back?

Satisfied with the response of the first, he went ahead to ask the second.

Upon that Dumbledore said, "The night that you were saved from Voldemort, you were surrounded with people who loved you, ones who were ready to die for you. The protective charms cast with that much love and urgency, left a mark."

Nobody around the house talked much of that night, not because they feared it, but because it upsets them. James and Sirius had taken a long time before they could get over the betrayal.

Dumbledore continued, "You are a blessed boy Harry, you have as much light in your life as you do the dark. Remember this in uncertain times, the light is always worth fighting for."

Harry didn't have to think twice about the 'light' Dumbledore suggested. Harry has always cherished the relationships he has in his life. So, absolutely, he would fight. He would fight the most abhorrent of evils to protect those who have never done anything but adore Harry, the individuals who have shown him unconditional love and support can feel like.

That year, Gryffindor had won the house cup. Harry and his friends were delighted, the now 'Golden Trio' as people had come to call them were praised by almost everybody except Slytherin. Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff were also in awe of the achievements of the first years.

Going back home was a disaster. On the contrary to how Sirius had reacted, nobody laughed. Maybe it was because of the way Harry told Sirius mentioning the 'three-headed dog named fluffy' and 'gigantic chess with gigantic pieces'. To make the situation lighter Harry went on to tell them about how the Weasley twins had thrown snow balls on the back of Quirel's head.

The reaction from his parents was different, Lily and James sat at the same place for 2 hours, saying nothing.

Lily, surprisingly cleared her throat first, declaring that she is not letting her son out of her sight again.

It would be an understatement to say that Harry needed a lot of persuasion to be allowed to return. While James began to warm up to idea, Lily, true to her stubborn temperament, refused to budge.

James, Sirius and Remus asked Dumbledore to talk to Lily. On that request the headmaster apparated to the Potter house. Others stepped out leaving the room with a concerned mother, a determined teacher and palpable tension.

"Headmaster, you know I cannot be convinced. I almost had my baby, my Harry killed when he was one" Lily said breaking the silence.

"Lily, you have graduated years ago, call me Albus. Now, for Harry that boy will face danger every step on his way. It is because of the prophecy. You know better than anyone that going to Hogwarts is the only way the boy can learn about magic"

"I want to protect him, I cannot imagine loosing him. My family is the only thing I have Albus."

"Oh dear, I am well aware. However, you need to agree to this"

Lily sighed before nodding in agreement. It was true, she had learnt the very skills that helped her fight the Dark Lord 4 times. She also couldn't deny her child the right to education he so deserved.

She agreed but wouldn't have if she knew of the surprising visit Harry had earlier this day. Dobby the elf had appeared in the young boy's room. Warning him in context of the danger present upon his return to the school of witchcraft.

Harry however did ignore this, he also decided against telling the adults thinking that this would cause an unnecessary panic.

Currently they were in Diagon Alley, they entered Flourish and Blotts. Gilderoy Lockhart was currently signing a book. All the woman were flaunting over his smile, as he grabbed Harry and smiled for the cameras. The exception to this case was a very hard to please, Lily Potter.

While all the men in the back of the shop complained about how Gilderoy was nothing special, the only woman's voice in the middle was Lily's. James smiling smugly knowing that his wife, was immune to the vile creature's charms.

Soon after, James and Sirius spotted Lucius Malfoy tormenting the children. His trademark blonde hair cascaded over his shoulders, and he wore his arrogance like a crown. The Marauders felt compelled to intervene merely by seeing him.

"You must be loving this Malfoy, going after somebody a third your age", Sirius said moving forward and blocking the children behind him.

"Of course he is padfoot, picking on somebody their own size is something Malfoys are not accustomed to", said James standing right beside Sirius.

"Oh look at that, James Potter and Sirius Black", he spat those names like venom, "One marrying a mudblood and the other running away from his family"

James charged towards the blonde man, who took a few hesitant steps back. Lucius Malfoy held his head high, but he was nothing more than an afraid git. Sirius held James' back by grabbing his hand.

"Well what can I say, insufferable they were, my family. You remind me of them, and for Lily, the woman can give you a run for your money. She is smarter, kinder and more humane than you could dream." said Sirius, calmly.

James, picking up where padfoot left off said"now if you are done insulting my brother, wife, son and his friends. Move out of the way before our dignities and respect drop down to your threshold."

Lucius moved away dropping two books in the youngest Weasley's cauldron.