chapter seven

~♛~

~♛~

"the drive-in is closing... that's just one more nail in the coffin that is riverdale." jughead fumed. "no— forget riverdale, in the coffin of the american dream. as the godfather of indie cinema, quentin tarantino, likes to say—"

"please, god— no more quentin tarantino references." kevin pleaded.

"what? i'm pissed. and not just about losing my job. the twighlight drive-in should mean something to us. people should be trying to save it!"

"in the age of netflix, do people really want to watch a movie in a car?" veronica shrugged. "i mean, who even goes there?"

"me!" gracie frowned.

"people who want to buy crack." kevin said, and gracie shot him a look.

"ahem, cinephiles and car enthusiasts, right, bets?" jughead reasoned.

"totally—" betty said unconsciously. her mind was clearly somewhere else.

"anyway, it's closing because the town didn't invest in it. so when an anonymous buyer made mayor mc coy an offer she couldn't refuse—"

"anonymous buyer?" veronica repeated. "what do they have to hide? no one cares."

"i do." the jones siblings both said at the same time.

"you guys should come to closing night." jughead suggested. "i'm thinking american graffiti. or is that too obvious?"

"i vote for anything starring audrey hepburn. or cate blanchett." ronnie smiled.

"or the talented mr ripley." kevin chimed in. "betty, your choices?"

gracie noticed betty's absent-mind. "everything okay, b?"

betty nodded. "yeah, yeah. i'm just thinking. um— maybe rebel without a cause?"

"west side story." gracie suggested, sipping her milkshake.

jughead smiled at that and nodded his head in approval.

the door swung open, and three people entered the chock'lit shoppe. "now that's an odd combo of people." kevin chuckled.

betty, jughead and gracie, who had their backs to the door, turned round to see who had arrived.
fred andrews, archie andrews and... ms grundy.

betty pursed her lips. "i'll be right back."

"betty, no— don't." jughead protested, but betty ignored him and continued towards the table the strange group had sat at.