chapter thirty-two

~♛~

~♛~

gracie's pov:

'jughead jones was all riled up, trying to piece together an article about hiram lodge's attempts to take over— starting with his purchasing of the twighlight drive in,
pop's chock'lit shoppe, southside high and sunnyside trailer park.

riverdale wasn't much different to jughead— on edge, trying to elect a new mayor in place after sierra mc coy's resignation.
fred andrews vs hermione lodge.'

~♛~

somehow, i had managed to drag toni along to the river vixen practices cheryl always dragged me along to, and convinced her to try-out.

"i don't think there's any way you ametuers are gonna beat that, so practice is over, vixens."
cheryl clasped her hands together after toni's try out dance. "inner circle vixens, hang back. you know you are." she beckoned me over, and i got up from the bleachers, dusting down my jeans. "in honour of toni joining our squad, i think we should celebrate with a slumber party at thistlehouse. fancy dressing gowns are appreciated— you've all seen the beguiled. dinner at 8pm, parlour games to follow." she hummed, before grabbing my hand and leading me away.

~♛~

toni, betty, josie, veronica, cheryl and i all sat in a town on the floor of cheryl's bedroom, brushing eachother's hair.

the hostess sighed, getting up and standing by before us. "i didn't just invite you guys here for a girlish slumber party. the truth is, i'm terrified of being alone here. there's a stranger in my house, my uncle claudius. he's mad. ever since he blew in, i feel like i'm in mortal peril."

"i'm confused. is this real or are we playing?" toni asked.

"all too real." cheryl shook her head. "i fear they're plotting against nana rose and i. mumsy cultivates esoteric herbs in the conservatory— tannis root, jimsonweed— i'm afraid of being poisoned."

"cheryl, are you sure you're not imagining things?" josie asked.

"well, if she is, josie, then maybe i am too." betty spoke up. "there's a stranger in my life aswell. my 'brother' chic. with him lurking behind every corner, my house feels—"

"—dangerous. deadly." the red-head finished for her. "i sympathise."

i sighed, looking up at her with worry. i just wish she would've just told me.

~♛~

hours later, after it had started to get late, the other girls had settled for bed on the floor in their sleeping bags, and cheryl and i shared her bed; lying apart, looking up at the ceiling in silence. a shred of light peeked its way into the room from a gap in the velvet curtains.

i saw the girl glance at me from the corner of my eye. "full disclosure?" she turned round on her side to face me, and i did the same. "i didn't want to invite all the girls tonight. but i knew my hideous mother would never allow me to invite just you— which is what i craved."
the sides of my mouth turned up to form a smile.
"i really like you, cee. i want to be your g—"

suddenly, there was a loud crash, and she leapt up from the bed, hurrying to the landing with immense alacrity, looking down to the bottom of the stairs where nana rose was sprawled across the floorboards, her wheelchair tipped on its side. cheryl let out an ear piercing scream, causing the others to leap up from their make-shift beds aswell.

~♛~

9:23 am
—————————————————————
cherry bomb🍒💄

hey, any updates on nana rose?
[DELIVERED]

11:45am

cheryl?
hello?
[DELIVERED]

12:54am

cheryl this isn't funny
[DELIVERED]

1:23pm

cheryl?
babe.
[DELIVERED]

~♛~

"mrs blossom. hi." i crossed my arms, after relentlessly pounding on the door of thistlehouse.
penelope rolled her eyes, attempting to shut the door on me, but i stuck my foot in the frame. "i'm looking for cheryl. she wasn't at the hospital with her nana."

"no. she's gone. to a boarding school in switzerland. she left last night."

"that doesn't make any sense—"

"i told you before. don't come here again." she slammed the door in my face.

~♛~