chapter twenty

~♛~

~♛~

gracie's pov:

"sheriff keller tells me you still haven't given any names." i said to my father, after finally deciding to visit him. "he's hoping i can convince you to do otherwise."

"i've been sweating it out, grace. and the only conclusion i've come to is that both options completely suck." he shrugged.

"hey, i— i wanted to let you know that, i'm gonna be okay." i nodded. "i met the foster family that'll take jug and i in. they're nice." i shrugged.

"what about southside high?" dad asked.

"it's a highschool." i shrugged. "it's got the jocks and the burnouts and the nerds, the like. just like riverdale high does. a nuance. after all, jug and i have eachother. not to mention sweetpea, toni and fangs."

"gracelyn, listen to me. i'm more innocent than i am guilty, but i've done some— some stupid things, some bad things... and come what may, i have to answer for my part of it, you understand? i'm sorry for everything i've put you kids through— even my simple apology isn't enough. and, i don't know what's gonna happen when this goes to trial... but you need to be there. for jughead. for jellybean. for your mom. and they may not need you right this second but—"

"i'll try my best, dad." i nodded. "i can promise you that."

"not a doubt in my mind." he half-smiled. "now go on. i love you."

i had turned round to walk away, but i stopped in my tracks. i hadn't heard that from my old
man in a long, long, long time.
"i love you too, dad." i managed out, before tearing up a little.

~♛~

i was sat on the couch of my dad's trailer, looking around at my previous home, sort of taking a nostalgic trip— when i heard the door knock.
i furrowed my eyebrows.
who the fuck could that be?

i swung open the door, and there cheryl stood before me.
"cheryl? how did you know i'd be here?"

"just a hunch." she shrugged. "i knew you wouldn't be at the jubilee, and my intuition told me you'd be here."

i chuckled. "well, uh, come in, come in."
i closed the door behind her and sniffed the air. "why do you smell like gasoline?"

"i burned down thornhill." cheryl said simply, as if it was the most normal thing in the world.

"you— you burned down thornhill? what the hell—" i chuckled. "that's... kinda badass."

"kind of?" cheryl hummed. "i think the word you're looking for is definitely."

"well, are you okay? you didn't get burnt or anything?—and also... why the fuck would you do that!"

"no, no. i'm perfectly fine." cheryl assured. "that house holds too many secrets and evil truths. it had to be destroyed."

i nodded reluctantly. "well, where are you going to live now?"
it's funny, seemed like the same question she asked me a few months ago.

"most likely thistlehouse. my mother is in the hospital, recovering from her... injuries."

i nodded. "i'm just glad you're okay.. you know, we never really talked about... you know.. why you did what you did at the river, che—"

"i really don't want to talk about that right now." she shook her head. "i just want to sit here with my rescuer."
the blossom girl slowly made her way over to me and lightly bit my earlobe ''i also just remembered, that i still haven't repaid you for your efforts." she whispered.

i gulped, and before i knew it, cheryl was sucking on the soft spot of my neck, her lipstick leaving marks all over the place. her hand found its way under my shirt, and behind my back. "not so tough now, are you, jones?" cheryl smirked.

i rolled my eyes. "shut up."

"make me."

i pushed her onto the counter, and she gasped. i went back to kiss her when there was another knock on the door.

"who is that?" cheryl huffed in annoyance.

i shrugged. "one second." i pulled my shirt back over my head, and went to open the door.

a bunch of the serpents were waiting outside, a few i recognised, a few i didn't. one of them i noticed was tall boy, holding a dog on a lead in the front. the dog began to bark at me and i stepped back a bit. "easy, hot dog. she's family." tall boy said, calming the dog down.

"hey?" i mumbled, confused.

"we heard your dad could've named names, but he didn't. serpents take care of their own. we wanted you to know, that no matter what happens to him, however long he's gone, we've got your back. and your brother's of course. we're headed to him next." he held up a serpent jacket to me. "this is yours... if you want it."

i took the leather jacket in my hands and looked down at it, before grinning and putting it on. the leather fit perfectly around my torso, like it was in my dna— which it was— but still.
it felt right.

"gracie..." cheryl whispered, looking out of the doorframe at me with worried eyes.

~♛~